Citation and Style Guides
General Citation and Style Guidelines
- VU’s Jean and Alexander Heard Library
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: Cite References in Your Paper (Documentation Guide)
- Bedford St. Martin’s Research and Documentation Online
Specific Manuals of Style
MLA (Modern Language Association)
APA (American Psychological Association)
CSE (Council of Science Editors) [formerly CBE (Council of Biology Editors)]
APSA (American Political Science Association)
ASA (American Sociological Association)
AAA (American Anthropological Association)
Tips for Avoiding Plagiarism
- Vanderbilt University’s Jean and Alexander Heard Library
Details what plagiarism is and how to avoid it. Links to VU Honor Council’s page.
- Plagiarism: What It Is and How to Avoid It
Definition and examples for quotations, paraphrases, and summaries.
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL): Avoiding Plagiarism
Overview of challenges and circumstances. Tips for safe practices and an exercise.
- Washington State University: Cultural Perspectives on Plagiarism
Focuses on American universities’ expectations regarding plagiarism and methods of determining common knowledge.
- Duke University: Avoiding Plagiarism (PowerPoint)
Begins with definitions and consequences, and continues with steps to avoiding plagiarism in all aspects of the research process.
In order to access certain content on this page, you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader or an equivalent PDF viewer software.