Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program
The Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program (VUSRP) provides Vanderbilt undergraduate students with the opportunity to fulfill 10 weeks of full-time research during the summer under the mentorship of any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member, including faculty in the graduate and professional schools. The goal of VUSRP is to encourage and enhance student-faculty mentoring and joint research efforts. The program dates for 2022 are June 1 through August 10.
The application for summer 2022 is now open. Applications will be accepted from October 26, 2021-January 11, 2022 at Noon. Apply Now
- VUSRP is a 10-week program that is traditionally done side-by-side with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member, generally on campus.
- The main component of the program is the scholarly work done by the Vanderbilt undergraduate student (VUSRP student) in collaboration with their faculty adviser.
- VUSRP involves full-time work.
- Participants are not permitted to take courses during the program.
- Participants are not permitted to hold outside employment during the program.
- A $5000 stipend is awarded, with a limited number of $6000 Littlejohn and Goldberg Fellow awards for exceptional applications.
- Stipends are intended to cover necessities and room and board.
- Students who accept VUSRP stipends are required to:
- attend a spring workshop to review program logistics
- complete their COVID agreement in Oracle
- complete 10 weeks of full-time research with their faculty adviser over the summer
- present at a roundtable discussion toward the end of the 10-week period
- present at the fall or spring Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Fair
- Students who accept VUSRP funding are encouraged to use the experience to satisfy their Immersion Vanderbilt requirement.
- Vanderbilt faculty may advise only two applications per competition.
Resources and Events
The resources provided below will offer additional information on the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program and provide assistance with the application writing process.
Information Session Video