Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program
The Vanderbilt Undergraduate Summer Research Program (VUSRP) provides Vanderbilt undergraduate students with the opportunity to fulfill 10 weeks of full-time research during the summer (June 1, 2020 - August 7, 2020) under the mentorship of any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member, including faculty in the School of Medicine in either VU or VUMC labs. The goal of VUSRP is to encourage and enhance student-faculty mentoring and joint research efforts.
- VUSRP is a 10-week program (June 1, 2020 - August 7, 2020) that is done side-by-side with any full-time Vanderbilt faculty member, generally on campus.
- The main component of the program is the scholarly work done by the Vanderbilt undergraduate student (VUSRP student) in collaboration with their faculty mentor.
- VUSRP involves full-time work. Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses. Additional requirements are listed below.
- Out of 184 applicants, 87 students received awards in 2019.
- A $5000 stipend is awarded, with a limited number of $6000 Littlejohn and Goldberg Fellow awards made for exceptional applications.
- Students who accept VUSRP stipends are required to:
- attend a spring workshop to review program logistics
- complete 10 weeks of full-time research with their faculty mentor over the summer
- present at a roundtable discussion toward the end of the 10-week period
- present at the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Fair
- An information session for students was held on November 6. Slides from the presentation are available here.
- Vanderbilt faculty may sponsor only two applications per competition.
- The application for the 2020 competition is now closed. Awards will be announced in early April 2020.