Who is eligible to participate in VUSRP?
- Vanderbilt students enrolled in undergraduate degree programs are eligible.
- Full consideration will be given to students who have at least a 3.0 GPA. In recent practice, awards have typically gone to students with GPAs of 3.2 or above.
- Applicants must be able to engage in 10 weeks of full-time research during the summer. Participants cannot enroll in summer session courses.
- The official dates of the program generally coincide with Vanderbilt's full summer session. Shifting participation dates in the program up to a week from the official dates is often not a problem, as long as the student discusses deviations with their faculty sponsor. Arrangements should be made to ensure that VUSRP students engage in 10 weeks of full-time research over the course of the summer (e.g, by starting the program early or ending late).
- Substantial deviations (more than one week) from the official dates must be approved in writing by a student’s faculty sponsor and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students should also discuss substantial deviations in their application.
- Although the program is primarily for rising juniors and seniors, applications from other students will be considered. Graduating seniors are not eligible.
- Research for VUSRP is not restricted to work within a student's major area of study. Projects from students with faculty mentors in different departments and schools are supported.
- Vanderbilt faculty may sponsor only two applications per competition.