How Do I Create Group Discussion Topics?
If your class is divided into groups, discussions can be a great way for them to plan, communicate, and share ideas. This guide will show you how to create group discussions on Brightspace.
There are two ways to create group discussions. One is with the Discussion tool, and the other is when you are creating your groups. This guide will help with both methods.
Using the Discussion tool to make group discussions
In order to use this method, you must have already created groups. Use this guide to learn how to create groups.
You also must have created a group Forum. Use this guide to learn how to create a group forum.
1) Start creating your group discussion by going to the Discussion tool (Activities & Assessments -> Discussions). Click on New and select Topic.
2) Choose the Forum you’ve already created. Select Group or Section Topic… Select the Group or Section Category (the groups you’ve already made with the groups tool).
3) Give your discussion topic a Title and Description. This will be visible to all groups.
4) After this you will have a variety of selections to make regarding Availability and Locking.
Availability refers to whether the topic is visible to students. Locking will prevent students from actually participating in the topic. Example: A discussion topic can be available to view, but locking it will prevent students from commenting or creating threads.
5) Be sure to click Save and Close when you are finished.