Greetings, Undergraduate Chemists! You can achieve your academic goals, and our Chemistry tutors are here to support you along the way, whether in an individual appointment or a Chemistry-focused group meeting.
Our tutors are all current undergraduates or graduate students who, having achieved a certain level of academic success themselves, are dedicated to helping their fellow students strive for the same.
Keep reading to learn more about the individual and group appointments you can reserve online through our online scheduler. Services are free of charge and open to all currently enrolled Vanderbilt students.
Chemistry Support at Tutoring Services
Individual Tutoring: Chemistry
Individual (One-on-one) appointments are 50 minutes long. As per our Appointment Policies, appointments can be scheduled via our online scheduler up to 14 days in advance with a limit of one individual appointment per day and two individual appointments per week in fall (three per week in spring), with the option of holding a similar number of group appointments (see below).
Tutors are available to support you in the following courses (for which you can quickly filter our schedule):
- CHEM 1601 & 1602 General Chemistry I & II
- CHEM 2211 & 2212 Organic Chemistry for Advanced Placement Students I & II
- CHEM 2221 & 2222 Organic Chemistry I & II
[pointers / strategies / Prep for an Appointment]
- Come check your understanding of course material by talking through it with your tutor and get particular questions answered.
- Appointments fill up quickly, so plan ahead when you can (remember you can schedule 14 days in advance) and when you don’t see any openings keep in mind our scheduler’s waiting list feature, as well, to get notified about cancellations.
Group Learning Support: Chemistry
Tutoring Services also provides opportunities for group study that focus on the chemistry courses for which we see the highest demand and at peak periods of the semester. Keep an eye on the calendar below for upcoming group opportunities.
One-hour Weekly Learning Roundtables offer students the opportunity work with each other and a tutor to improve their own understanding of course material, and they recur regularly giving students a chance to space out their studying and deepen learning and retention.
Two-hour Pre-Exam Study Groups are held in the days prior to major exams in General Chemistry (CHEM 1601 and 1602) and Organic Chemistry (CHEM 2221 & 2222).
Calendar for Tutoring Services Group Sessions (All Subjects)
Additional Campus Support Resources for Chemistry
Your Professor and TA’s Office Hours
- There is no substitute for developing a strong working relationship with your instructors, we encourage all students to seek out their professors and teaching assistants during their office hours.
The Department of Chemistry list of chemistry TA office hours for Spring 2020: Chemistry 1602L Office Hours for Spring 2020
More Tutoring and Learning Support Opportunities
- All students can also use the Drop-in STEM Tutoring service for support with many Chemistry classes.
- Academic and study skills coaching is available through the Center for Student Wellbeing on topics such as time management, organization, test prep, and handling academic-related anxiety and stress.