Find all that Vanderbilt has to offer our growing global alumni community for career resources here. Or are you interested in giving back? Become a career adviser and help students and fellow alumni in their career journey.
Career Adviser Network
As an alumnus/a, you can take advantage of all that there is to offer within the Career Adviser Network.
Interested in giving back? Learn more about signing up to be a member of the Career Adviser Network. What's asked of you? Simply respond to inquiries from students, and fellow alumni and share more about your industry and career path.
As a current student, you can search the Career Adviser Network to discover and connect with alumni in your area of interest. When you become an alumnus/a, consider joining our Career Adviser Network to help out your fellow 'Dores.
If you are interested in one-on-one support from a career coach as you plan and navigate your professional path, please consider one of our partner career coaches.
Jump-start Your Job Search Boot Camp
Are you thinking about a new job but unsure how to launch an effective search? Have you been searching for a new position without any results? Stop the confusion and frustration! Jump-start your job search in our 4-session job search webinar program with career coach, Hallie Crawford, BS'95, offered every Fall and Spring.
LinkedIn: The Missing Manual ($99 service, free!)
Ever wonder how your LinkedIn stands against other candidates? Well now you can try a free course by the LinkedIn Guys; the world's only guide to LinkedIn created by former LinkedIn employees.
Think of it as the manual you wish LinkedIn came with - all visually demonstrated, all updated for the latest version of the website. And it's waiting for you here as an exclusive free resource for Vanderbilt alumni (normally $99):
- Go to our course site
- Click the Enroll button
- And create an account
Jobs - Post & Search
- Vanderbilt alumnus/na? You may post directly to our LinkedIn group
- Non-alumnus/na? Complete our job form so that we post the job for you to LinkedIn
- Vanderbilt alumni and graduate/professional students, visit our LinkedIn group to search job postings
- Recent Vanderbilt graduates (0-2 years out) seeking your first professional opportunity should visit Handshake, which is managed by the Career Center
- Professional and Graduate School alumni may also contact their respective school's career centers for additional resources. Vanderbilt Graduate School Career Center, Law School, Owen Graduate School of Management, Peabody College of Education and Human Development, School of Medicine (BRET)
Vanderbilt alumni maintain their strong desire to learn long after they graduate. This list of Lifelong Learning meets that passion by providing easy access to the many programs from the Alumni Association and other university areas that offer academic enrichment.
Resumé, Interview Tips and Career Trends
Check out the following websites and blogs about all things career-from resume or interview tips to the latest on industry changes. These resources provide career examples, weekly emails and professional development opportunities to help you be successful.
- Indeed - Find example resume and cover letter templates through their Career Guide.
- The Muse - Looking for more information on companies and careers? Go to The Muse for an "authentic look at company culture, workplace and values through the stories of their employees".
- Career Thought Leaders - This resource is helpful when wanting to look at latest career trends and strategies to advance in your own career.
- Career Sherpa - Hannah Morgan combines her passion for writing and social media with strategic job search information. Visit Career Sherpa for the latest news on all things professional development.
- Smart Brief - Looking for the latest on industry news or wanting to know latest tips and advice your career? Pulled from thousands of credible sources, Smart Brief allows you to find anything you could ever need on industry topics. You can also sign up for their newsletter to receive daily or weekly professional development advice right in your inbox.
The following tools can be helpful for gathering information about your interests and skills:
- Picture Your Career - A visualization map created by Dr. Kate Brooks and Grace Foy of the Vanderbilt Career Center.
- Strengths Finder - The Strengths Finder assessment is designed to uncover your core talents to help you with industry and workplace inclinations, as well as skill development.
- Myers-Briggs - The Myers-Briggs assessment is based on psychological types and temperaments and may help you understand the relationship between personality and careers.
- Career Leader - Career Leader is an online self-assessment designed specifically for business careers.
Career Advising Network
Join a network full of willing alumni in all backgrounds and industries ready to impart advice and connections for your career journey. Search based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, location, industry, degree information, and companies. Learn more about searching and getting started with the career adviser network today.
Interested in giving back? Vanderbilt's global network of over 140,000 alumni represents nearly every imaginable career path. As a career adviser, you have the opportunity to make a big impact with a small time commitment.
What's asked of you? Simply respond to inquiries from students, and fellow alumni and share more about your industry and career path. Learn more about signing up to be a career adviser today.
There are two ways to connect on LinkedIn:
- Join the official Vanderbilt Alumni Association LinkedIn group. Here you will find job postings, and discussions amongst your fellow alumni.
- Search Alumni via the Vanderbilt University LinkedIn page. In this search, you will find a searchable list of alumni on LinkedIn who have indicated that they attended, or graduated from Vanderbilt University. This may include traditional degree programs as well as non-degree seeking programs (certifications, online courses, etc).
Events in Your City
Find your local chapter today, and join us at an upcoming event in your neighborhood. Each chapter provides a plethora of events from Commodore Classrooms to athletic watch parties. All are an opportunity to connect with fellow alumni and grow your personal network.
Many chapters around the country have established monthly networking events such as breakfasts or dinners. This is a wonderful opportunity to meet more alumni in your area and learn about the many industries available.
Just because you've graduated, doesn't mean the traditions won't continue! Each year we host welcome events in cities across the U.S. to welcome our newest graduates to their new homes.
Previous cities include: Atlanta, NYC, D.C., Chicago, Seattle, Los Angeles, Nashville, Houston, San Francisco and Charlotte.
Tap into the limitless connections of your Vanderbilt alumni network. Networking Night is a business networking happy hour that will take place in more than 30 Vanderbilt Chapters worldwide, bridging alumni across industries- and continents- to demonstrate the strength of your Vanderbilt network.
Each year, more than 150 students connect and network with alumni during an "Opening Dores" dinner. This popular dinner series is an informal, family-style event that has become an important tradition of the Vanderbilt Alumni Association's student-alumni programs.
Learn valuable tips from top career authors and experts - including our partner coaches, who offer discounts to Vanderbilt alumni - about job searching, networking, organization, teamwork and maintaining your competitive edge in the marketplace.
- Going Grad (2020) - Sarah Whitney Anderson, Vanderbilt Alumni Association and Amanda Moore, Vanderbilt Career Center
- 5 Ways to Fix Your Resume (2019) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- What Does It Take To Be a Rhodes Scholar? (2019) - Jackie Sheridan, Associate Director for Post-Baccalaureate Opportunities
- How to Land the Job (2019) - Professor Jeremy Payne, BS'00, M.Ed'02, Ed.D.'07
- How to Get Noticed by Recruiters: Using LinkedIn and JobScan as Essential tools for Your Job Search (2018) - Tiffany Franklin, BA'96
- How to Make a Career Change (2018) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Things to Consider When Making a Job or Career Transition (2018) - Jim Bellar, The Bellar Group
- 5 Ways to Conduct Successful Informational Interviews (2018) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Location Independent Productivity (2018) - Professor Jeremy Payne, BS'00, M.Ed'02, Ed.D.'07
- Using Informational Interviews to Change Careers, Land Jobs, and Build Your Network (2018) - Noelle Janka BS'07
- Headhunters 101 (2016) - Wills Moore, BA'90
- The Art of the Portfolio (2016) - Tiffany Franklin, BA'96
- "Mentally Stuck and Don't Know How to Advance in Your Career?" (2022) - Nona King BMus'91
- "I want a new job, now what?" (2022) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How to Know When it's Time to Go (2022) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How to Leverage LinkedIn (2022) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Finding a Job You Love in the New Year (2021) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How New Managers Can Make Their Mark During COVID (2021) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Building an Inclusive Culture in a Hybrid Workplace (2021) - Corbette Doyle, Ed.D., Vanderbilt senior lecturer of leadership and organizational performance
- How to Reach Your Potential (2021) - Steve Herz, JD'91
- How to Tap into the Hidden Job Market to Define and Find Your Ideal Job (2021) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How to Make a Change in Your Career Direction (2020) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Resume Hacks in Times of Furlough and Unemployment (2020) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How Do You Know if You're in the Right Career Fit? (2020) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- I Want a New Job, Now What? (2020) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- How to Build Your Brand for Greater Professional Success (2019) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Using Coaching Skills to Improve Office Management (2019) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Using Writing to Build Your Brand (2018) - Dr. Kate Brooks, Evans Family Executive Director of the Career Center
- The Business Case for a More Inclusive Culture (2018) - Liji Thomas, BA'98
- Telling Your Professional Story in the Changing World of Work (2018) - Kristen Tompkins, M.Ed'01
- Achieving Excellence in Nonprofit Board Service (2017) - Jennifer Chalos, M.Ed'01
- Start-Ups 101 (2016) - Tiffany Franklin, BA'96
- Leading Millennials (2016) - Cherrie Clark, BA'78
Personal & Professional Development
- Career Transitions: Creating a Pathway for Your Next Career Move (2022) - Yanika Daniels, BE'02
- Navigating Networking: Bridging Online to Offline (2022) - Yanika Daniels, BE'02
- 5 Coaching Skills Every Leader Should Master (2022) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Finding Work-Life Balance (2022) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Making Your Currency Connection: From "Millennial Whispering" to "Saving your Asks" (2021) - Chris Tuff, BS'03
- The Power of Empathy: Showing Up As An Empathetic Leader (2021) - Corey Ponder, BS'07
- ENRICH Your 2021 (2021) - Todd Miller, BA'88
- Stress-Free, Exhaustion-Proof Holidays (even in 2020) for the Overachiever (2020) - Kacey Cardin, BMus'04
- Elevate Your LinkedIn Game: 10 ways to maximize your LinkedIn Strategy and Cultivate Meaningful Connections (2020) - Tiffany Franklin, BA'96
- Shed the Habits that Hold You Back: A Special Webinar for Women (2020) - Rebecca Quigley, BS'96
- The Art of Launching a Side Business (2020) - Tiffany Franklin, BA'96
- Curiosity & Contribution-Based Networking (2019) - Elizabeth Scutchfield, M.Ed.'09
- 7 Wheels of Leadership (2019) - Kacey Cardin, BMus'04
- Overcoming Barriers to Allyship (2019) - Corey Ponder, BS'07
- Personal Finance for Life (2019) - Professor Gary Kimball, BS'84, MBA'85
- Activate Your Vision, 3 Key Practices to Achieve What Matters Most (2019) - Deb Palmer George
- What Fills You Up? An Exploration of Work, Play and Profession (2019) - Dr. Dayle Savage, M.Ed'99, Ed.D'05
- Prevent Burnout and Say "No" Without the Guilt (2018) - Lisa Abramson, BA'05
- Networking Myths, Facts & Hacks (2018) - Jim Bellar, The Bellar Group
- Dealing with Difficult Co-Workers or Employees (2017) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- Visible Confidence - 7 Steps to Life and Career Changing Confidence (2017) - Chantelle Anderson, BS'03
- Solving Career Burnout - How to Get Re-Inspired (2017) - Hallie Crawford, BS'95
- The Entrepreneurial Mentality (2017) - Avi Spelman, BA'08
- Developing Mental Toughness (2017) - Brian Lomax, BA'89
- Sustainable Success - Why Mindfulness Matters (2017) - Lisa Abramson, BA'05