Greetings, Undergraduate Mathematicians! You can achieve your academic goals, and our Math tutors are here to support you along the way, whether in an individual appointment or a Math-focused group meeting.
Our tutors are all current undergraduates or graduate students who, having achieved a certain level of academic success themselves, are dedicated to helping their fellow students strive for the same.
Keep reading to learn more about the individual and group appointments you can reserve online through our online scheduler. Services are free of charge and open to all currently enrolled Vanderbilt students.
Mathematics Support at Tutoring Services
Individual Tutoring: Math
Individual (One-on-one) appointments are 50 minutes long. As per our Appointment Policies, appointments can be scheduled via our online scheduler up to 14 days in advance with a limit of one individual appointment per day and two individual appointments per week in fall (three per week in spring), with the option of holding a similar number of group appointments (see below).
Tutors are available to support you in the following courses (for which you can quickly filter our schedule):
- MATH 1200 & 1201 Single-Variable Calculus I & II
- MATH 1300 & 1301 Accelerated Single-Variable Calculus I & II
- MATH 2420 Methods of Ordinary Differential Equations
- MATH 2600 Linear Algebra
- MATH 1010 & 1011 Probability and Statistical Inference
- MATH 1100 Survey of Calculus
- MATH 2300 Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 2400 Differential Equations with Linear Algebra
- MATH 2410 Methods of Linear Algebra
- MATH 2500 & 2501 Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra I & II
- MATH 2610 Ordinary Differential Equations
Group Learning Support: Math
Tutoring Services also provides opportunities for group study that focus on the math courses for which we see the highest demand and at peak periods of the semester. Keep an eye on the calendar below for upcoming group opportunities.
One-hour Weekly Learning Roundtables offer students the opportunity work with each other and a tutor to improve their own understanding of course material, and they recur regularly giving students a chance to space out their studying and deepen learning and retention.
Two-hour Pre-Exam Study Groups are held in the days prior to major exams in Single-Variable Calculus (MATH 1200 & 1201) and Organic Chemistry (CHEM 2221 & 2222).
Calendar for Tutoring Services Group Sessions (All Subjects)
Additional Campus Support Resources for Mathematics
Your Professor and TA’s Office Hours
- There is no substitute for developing a strong working relationship with your instructors, we encourage all students to seek out their professors and teaching assistants during their office hours.
The Department of Mathematics offers Tutored Study Halls (Fall 2020 schedule). These are valuable resources for all students seeking regular, semester-long access to academic support in calculus courses.Their tutors and TAs provide a steady means to keep on top of work. Attending regularly is particularly beneficial and recommended.
More Tutoring and Learning Support Opportunities
- All students can also use the Drop-in STEM Tutoring service for support with many Math classes.
- Academic and study skills coaching is available through the Center for Student Wellbeing on topics such as time management, organization, test prep, and handling academic-related anxiety and stress.