Skip to main content


Applying to Vanderbilt

You may apply using the Coalition Application or the Common Application. To learn more about application requirements for transfers, visit the Undergraduate Transfer Students page on the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website. All questions regarding the admissions process or your applicant materials should be directed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at or (615) 322-2561. Residential Colleges and transition staff cannot assist with admissions-related questions.

Vanderbilt meets 100% of demonstrated financial need for all admitted students, including transfers. However, merit-based aid is not available to transfer applicants. For more information on need-based financial aid, including how to apply, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid and Undergraduate Scholarships website.

Vanderbilt offers a wide range of academic programs, co-curricular experiences, and student support services to undergraduate students, making the institution an excellent fit for many transfer students. You are encouraged to explore the Vanderbilt website to learn more about what Vanderbilt has to offer. To gain insight into the experiences of current students who transferred to Vanderbilt, follow us on Instagram @transfersofvu.


Vanderbilt offers a wide range of degree programs, ranging across disciplines. A full list of majors and disciplines can be found on the Disciplines and Majors page. 

The Office of the University Registrar manages the transfer credit evaluation process. More information about this process can be found on the Transfer Credit Course Review page.

Undergraduate course registration for incoming first-year and transfer students is conducted through Vanderbilt's four undergraduate schools and colleges. To learn more about the course registration process, visit your respective school or college's academic webpage found below.

Academic Advising varies across the four undergraduate schools. Visit your school or college's academic advising webpage to identify your adviser and learn more about the academic advising process.

Students who wish to change their major should consult with their academic adviser to fill out a change of major form. For additional information on the change of major process, contact the Office of the University Registrar.

Many of Vanderbilt's academic and financial student records are managed through the YES system. Several user guides to YES are available on the YES User Guides page. Course-specific information, including syllabi and grades, is often accessible through Brightspace. Additionally, Anchor Link is used to manage data related to student organizations and events.

Campus Life

Vanderbilt University is a residential campus for undergraduate students, and the residential experience is understood to be an integral part of a Vanderbilt education. All incoming transfer students are required to submit the Transfer Student Housing Application and reside on campus. Applications for fall 2024 transfers are due by June 15.

Vanderbilt's upper-division residence halls include traditional residence halls, living-learning communities, and residential colleges. Transfer student housing assignments and move-in information will be sent via email on or around August 11. To learn more, visit the Transfer Student Housing page on the Housing and Residential Experience website.

Visit the Building Connections page to learn more about transfer-specific involvement opportunities. To get involved in the larger Vanderbilt community, contact the Office of Student Organizations or visit Anchor Link. Involvement is also something that your Transfer Student Leaders can help you consider, often providing you with tips on who to contact to get involved and how to find your community. 

Visit the Vanderbilt Welcome Website for a guide on preparing to begin your Vanderbilt experience and a list of important dates. If you have additional questions, contact us using the online form, email us at, or call (615) 343-7146. 

Vanderbilt offers a strong network of student support resources, ranging from academic services to mental health counseling and experiential learning assistance. You will be assigned a Transfer Student Leader and an International Orientation Leader (optional for new international students). These upper-division peer mentors can assist you throughout your first semester on campus. You should also familiarize yourself with the information on the Vanderbilt Welcome Website. If you need assistance identifying the appropriate resources, you should call the New Student Hotline at (615) 322-4948 or complete the Transfer Student contact form.

In addition to Transfer Student Orientation, international transfer students are invited to participate in an optional International Student Orientation, which is designed to support the specific needs of international students. Visit the International Student Orientation page on the Residential Colleges website to learn more about the program. Please email if you would like to participate, and you will be assigned to an international orientation group. You must indicate your desire to participate by July 15, 2024. If you view this after the deadline, but before move-in, please contact us anyway to see if an accommodation can be made.

Additionally, international students are encouraged to contact International Student and Scholar Services to ensure compliance with immigration and visa requirements prior to arrival on campus.

Have a question not answered here? Contact us.