The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Intersex Life

The Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Intersex Life

Home » Trans@VU » Trans Health on Campus

Trans Health on Campus

Student Health & Medical Services

If a student wishes to receive medical care for any transgender needs or with a trans-friendly physician, they can make an appointment with:

The Office of LGBTQI Life staff also serves as an excellent resource for locating supportive communities and services throughout Vanderbilt/Nashville area. Please come by the K.C. Potter Center or reach out via e-mail to any of our professional staff members for questions or conversations about local resources.

Does Vanderbilt student health insurance cover hormone therapy and/or trans-related surgery?The Vanderbilt student health insurance plan does cover hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and trans-related surgery. If you are enrolled in the student health insurance plan and have questions regarding LGBTQI coverage, please contact the on-campus student health representative, Kristy Miller, located in room SS4401 Zerfoss Student Health Center or at 615-343-4688. Additional information can also be found on the student health insurance website at

How should I answer questions about “sex” or “œgender” on official university documentation?On most Vanderbilt documents the student should answer how the student self-identifies their gender identity, i.e. if you self identify as a Transwoman or woman, you would want that to be your response on a Vanderbilt document (or you may choose not to answer at all).

The federal government does requires Vanderbilt to collect demographic information on a student’s “sex” at several points (e.g., on applications to programs) and requires an answer of either “male” or “œfemale” for federal purposes. Please answer with the option with which you most closely identify. 

Federal financial aid for a transgender individual is complicated because of the issue of “Selective Service.” If a student is assigned male at birth (regardless of their current gender status), they are required to register with the Selective Service within thirty days of their 18th birthday to be considered for government benefits. They are also required to register with their legal name AND any name change. Unfortunately, because the FAFSA is based on sex assigned at birth, that form needs to be filled out in accordance with federal laws. More information can be found at: under “Transgender Students.”

Vanderbilt Employee Trans Health Coverage

For Vanderbilt employees, the University has opted into both Navitus’™ requirements and benefits regarding hormone therapy, and Aetna’™s clinical policy regarding Gender Reassignment Surgery. Employees are still subject to requirements outlined by Navitus and/or Aetna for eligibility. To find out more about health care benefits for employees, contact Human Resources or visit their webpage under “Benefits” to find your specific representative.

Vanderbilt employees have the option to visit a counselor or therapist for free through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) in Work/Life Connections at Vanderbilt. Counselors at the EAP can assist you with any topic or issue you may be having in the workplace or personally. Those seeking counseling or therapy around gender dysphoria, being transgender, questioning your gender identity, or anything associated to gender are also able to access the EAP for these reasons. To contact the EAP, visit their contact us webpage or call 615-936-1327.

Resources for Trans Patients at the Vanderbilt Medical Center

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Program in LGBTI Health

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Trans Buddy Program

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Office for Diversity Affairs

Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt Office of Inclusion and Health Equity