University Residence History
Original University Residence
Chancellor Landon C. Garland (1875-1893) lived on campus in a residence that was located at the end of the current Alumni Lawn. The structure was razed in 1952 to provide a site for Rand Hall.
Bishop McTyeire’s House
Bishop McTyeire, who served 16 years as president of the Vanderbilt Board of Trust, lived in a residence from 1875 until 1889, that stood at the site of the current Zerfoss Student Health Center. Chancellor James H. Kirkland (1893-1937) lived in the house following Bishop McTyeire.
401 24th Avenue
The Mediterranean style of 401 24th Avenue dates from the early 1920’s remodeling of an 1880’s house. Chancellor Oliver C. Carmichael (1937-1946) and Chancellor Harvie Branscomb (1946-1963) lived in this residence. The house is currently the site of the Office of the University Chaplain.
Braeburn is located in Belle Meade on Deer Park Drive, approximately 4.6 miles away from campus. The house was built in 1912 and purchased by Vanderbilt in 1964. When he and his family moved into Braeburn shortly after the university acquired the residence, Chancellor Alexander Heard (1963-1982) became the first Vanderbilt chancellor to live off-campus.
In the 56 years that the university has owned Braeburn, the home has been occupied by Vanderbilt’s chancellors only for a little more than half the time. Since 2007, Braeburn has been used primarily as an event space. Chancellor Alexander Heard and Chancellor Gordon Gee (2000-2007) chose to live in the residence, while Chancellor Joseph B. Wyatt (1982-2000) used it for special occasions and only occupied the residence about 50% of the time. Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos (2008-2019) chose to remain in his personal home.