Troubleshooting Proctorio Password Errors
Some students may be prompted to enter a password when they try to take a quiz proctored using Proctorio. There are several steps students can take to resolve this problem, as listed below.
- Make sure that you are accessing your exam while in the Chrome browser with the Proctorio extension enabled.
- Navigate to the content page in your course, then look for the Secure Exam Proctor item in Content. If you’re able to find this content item, click on it and make sure it displays the message, “Secure Exam Proctor Plugin Successfully Installed! Please return to your course.” If you cannot find the Secure Exam Proctor content item, that means the extension is already properly installed and you can move to step 3.
- Make sure that your Google Chrome version is up to date. To do so, click on the three vertical dots on the upper right-hand corner of your browser, then select Help → About Google Chrome. If Chrome says it is not up to date, please select the option to update it.
- Make sure that within the quiz title, it has the words (Remotely Proctored) or (Secure Browser). If the title of the exam does not contain this text, that means that Proctorio is not properly enabled on this exam. In that case, please reach out to your instructor.
- Make sure that you have the right version of the extension and that the Proctorio extension is being allowed in incognito mode. To do so, select the three vertical dots in the top right-hand corner of your browser, then choose More tools → Extensions and select the Proctorio extension. From here, click on Details and make sure that “Allow in incognito” is enabled. Please also ensure that the extension is also allowed “On all sites”.
- Try clearing your cache and cookies by clicking on the three vertical dots in the top right-hand corner of your browser. From here, select More tools → Clear browsing data, then select the Advanced tab. Change the “Time range” to “All time”, then make sure that every box except for “Passwords…” is checked before selecting “Clear data”.
- If none of the above resolves the password issue, please try removing and reinstalling the Proctorio extension.
If none of the steps above resolve this issue, contact Proctorio via chat or e-mail for 24/7 support. You can start the chat by clicking on the shield icon in the upper-right corner of your browser while on the instructions page for the exam. You might have a puzzle icon instead, in which case the shield will be visible once you click on the puzzle piece. You can also reach Proctorio through their Support page – proctorio.com/support.