The Vanderbilt University International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is the primary source of employment information for international students. The information below has been reviewed and approved by ISSS.
All prospective international student employees must:
- Receive a job/employment offer.
- Have the appropriate Visa to be allowed to work. For more information about Visa requirements, international students should visit the International Student and Scholar Services website.
- Maintain full-time enrollment to remain eligible to work. International students may work 19 hours per week during academic periods.
- If you do not have a social security number: Visit the ISSS to receive a letter of authorization/form to collect appropriate signatures. This must be taken to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Visit Vanderbilt HR. You must have your social security number or the issued SS-5 receipt received from the SSA at the time of I-9 process.
- W-4: Please refer to the International Student Employee Checklist. If additional assistance is needed, please email ITO@vanderbilt.edu.
- In addition, international student employees should become familiar with the U.S. laws pertaining to paying taxes and filing income tax returns.
International students in F-1 or J-1 status working at VUMC must first receive authorization from ISSS. On-campus employment at VUMC is limited to employment that is integral to the student’s academic program. Please contact ISSS@vanderbilt.edu or your assigned ISSS advisor before accepting any employment opportunity at VUMC.
International students, are strongly encouraged to search for on-campus jobs by:
- Searching HireADore, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Visiting campus departments directly and asking about available positions.