Hiring International Students
Steps for Hiring International Students
Vanderbilt University employs International students across the campus. When a department wants to hire an International student worker, they will need to follow the steps listed below. Additionally, international students are inelligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) and will be paid with institutional funds. Additionally, International students are limited to working 19 hours per week while classes are in session. Full-time employment (20-40 hours per week) is permitted ONLY during official school breaks (fall, winter, and spring breaks) and summer vacation periods.
International students working at VUMC are restricted to positions that serve the Vanderbilt University academics or directly serve students.
If the student has worked on campus before reach out to your HCM to complete a rehire in Oracle.
If the student is a new hire to Vanderbilt campus, once a position is offered, the international student worker will:
- Print the International Student Employee Checklist for your new hire.
If the student does not have a social security number, the student should take along an authorized letter or form from the Vanderbilt University International Student & Scholars Services (ISSS) with appropriate signatures documenting the person has a job or job offer, along with immigration documents, to the Social Security Administration(SSA). The student should obtain a receipt from SSA showing application of their social security number.
- The closest office to Vanderbilt is Social Security Administration Administration at 120 Athens way Nashville, TN 37228. The phone number is 615-736-2248S
Complete their W-4: Students should email ITO@vanderbilt.edu.. All non-US citizens must complete their W-4 in Glacier.
International Tax Office will review and complete
- W-4 form
- Tax Treaty forms, if applicable
- The Tax Summary Report (TSR)
- I-9: The student will complete this process at Vanderbilt HR - located in the Baker Building, 110 21st Ave. South, Suite 1000 (10th floor). The student will need a copy of their social security card or the SS5 receipt issued by the Social Security Administration.
Hiring department will review and complete:
- New Hire in Oracle- A US-issued Social Security number is required or proof that one has been applied for. Attach a copy of the SSA receipt (a copy also sent to the International Tax Office). If the SSN has not been received, use the student’s Placeholder SSN.
- Forward document to Student Employment at 2309 West End Ave.