Fall 2021 Back to School Student Employment Newsletter
It’s that time of year again! In preparation for the upcoming school year we have included some important information regarding Student Employment.
Virtual Job Fair:
Our virtual job fair begins August 1st. Please upload your jobs into HireADore as both new & returning students now have access to HireaDore. Both Federal Work Study (FWS) and Non-Federal Work Study jobs will be included in the virtual job fair. If you are an On/Off-Campus employer and you do not have HireADore account, you may register here.
Federal Work Study:
- Please use the Vanderbilt Work Study Eligibility Report located within HireADore to find a list of eligible Federal Work Study Students for 2021-2022
- Federal Work Study costing for On-Campus monthly student workers begins on August 1st
- Federal Work Study costing for On-Campus biweekly student workers begins on August 8th
- Please note that FWS is only for on-campus employment
Please remember to add the costing information for your student employee once the approval notification is received by the HCM Specialist confirms the hire has been processed.
The 2021-2022 Federal Work Study cost share will be 70% FWS and 30% Institutional (departmental) funding.
The 2021-2022 FWS POET costing string is:
Project = SFP_300937
Org = 26200
Expend = SalStud
Task = 1
Federal Work Study Community Service Positions:
Federal Work Study regulations require 7% of FWS eligible students to be placed into community service assignments. Please be sure to use the correct position name/JCAT for those students who are in community service assignments. FWS Community Service positions should have “CS” within the position name. Please view the table below for a list of Community Service FWS position names. We must keep an accurate account of all students for federal reporting purpose. Your assistance is appreciated.
FWS UG CS Math Tutor FWS Grad/Prof CS Math Tutor
FWS UG CS Student FWS Grad/Prof CS Student
FWS UG CS Read Tutor FWS Grad/Prof CS Read Tutor
Community service positions may be in a department or work unit that provides services open and accessible to the community. These services may include:
- Libraries and art galleries open to and accessible to the public.
- Health care fields.
- Childcare for the community (cannot include childcare for VU staff only).
- Literacy training and education (including tutorial services) in public schools.
- Community improvement projects.
- Emergency preparedness and response.
- Support services for students with disabilities (this may include students with disabilities who are enrolled at Vanderbilt University.
Important Information to remember:
New student workers must first share their data access and other applicable info with HCM Specialist or Hiring Manager through Oracle
New student workers:
I-9 must be completed prior to first day of work and/or hiring of new student workers. Please direct students to https://forms.vanderbilt.edu/view.php?id=851410 to complete step 1 of the process.
To complete step 2 of the I-9 process, students will utilize a remote agent of their choosing. This person will verify their employment authorization document on behalf of Vanderbilt University. This should be someone that the student trust and that can be physically present with them to complete section 2. After they have completed step 1, they will be asked to provide the name and email address of the person they chose to complete step 2 with them. This can be a family member, friend, roommate, neighbor, etc. We ask that the student select someone that is comfortable with technology and can complete an online form. After completion of Section 1, they will receive detailed instructions from the Vanderbilt Pre-Employment Administrator.
Section 2 should be completed on or before the students first day of employment.
If you have any questions, please contact our Pre-Employment Administrator at I9@vanderbilt.edu.
- W-4 must be completed in Oracle
All students are required to sign up for Direct Deposit for payroll
Student workers can visit Human Resources for more information about the direct deposit process. Students who have enrolled in Direct Deposit through YES (Your Enrollment Services) will need to enroll separately for Direct Deposit through Vanderbilt University's payroll system as these systems do not share your direct deposit information. Students will need to enter their direct deposit information in Oracle once they begin working.
- Undergraduate students can work up to 19 hours per week, all jobs combined during the academic school year
- Graduate/Professional students can work up to 29.5 hours per week, all jobs combined during the academic school year
- International students can work up to 19 hours per week, all jobs combined
Student Employment Contact Information:
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
By Email: StudentEmployment@vanderbilt.edu