Student Access provides proctoring services for students who are registered with our office and enrolled in Vanderbilt courses. At the beginning of each semester, students must discuss alternative testing accommodations with instructors. If instructors are unable to provide students with an accessible environment, SA provides a backup location in our Testing Center (Baker Building, Suite 108). Well before the exam date, students will need to confirm where exams will be taken and what the environment will be.
The Testing Center hours are Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM- 8:30 PM, and Friday, 8:00 AM-4:30 PM.
Please be aware that seating may be limited due to COVID-19 restrictions.
If your instructor is unable to accommodate your exam, you will need to schedule your exam using the Commodore Access Portal.
Once you have logged on to the portal, schedule your exams by clicking “alternative testing”->” select a course”-->” schedule an exam”.
Your exams must be scheduled at the same time and date as the class. If the exam time does not fit within SA hours or you have another course conflict, contact your instructor for permission to take the exam at an alternative time. Seats are provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
We do not schedule exams on the same day/day before. All exams must be scheduled at least 3 business days prior to your exam day. You have the ability to schedule all of your exams for the semester on the first day of classes. We recommend scheduling in advance.
You are allowed to make ONE request per exam.
If you schedule an exam at 4:00 PM or later, your request will be considered as scheduling on the following business day.
If you schedule an exam and receive a response stating “Testing Agreement not complete. Please follow up with your professor.” This means your exam has been scheduled. However, in order for your request to be approved by our office, your professor needs to complete the Testing Agreement. (Please contact our office and your professor if you receive this response.)
Any questions or concerns pertaining to exam accommodations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you are a graduate student, please contact your coordinator/instructor about your exam arrangements.
*If you are a Law School student, please contact Chris Meyers about your exam arrangements.
SA will be following Vanderbilt's Health and Safety Protocols in addition to our protocols listed below.
- Before arriving at the Testing Center, confirm that your exam request has been submitted and approved for the correct date and time. To check the status of your exam request, log onto the Commodore Access Portal, and click on the "alternative testing" tab. All of your exam requests will be listed below.
- All exams will take place in the Baker Building, Suite 108 (which is located down the hall from the University Registrar’s Office).
- Make sure to bring your student id to enter the Baker Building.
- Face masks/coverings are required before entering the Testing Center and throughout your exam.
- Make sure to arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your scheduled exam time, as our lobby will be closed.
- If you are more than five minutes late for your exam, you will not receive any additional time after the scheduled stop time.
- If you are using your laptop, please make sure it is charged, as we cannot guarantee an open outlet.
- Please bring all materials that you will need for your exam (i.e. laptop chargers, calculators, scratch paper, pencils, and pens).
- All other items not permitted (cellphones, smartwatches, headphones/air pods) for your exam, must remain in your backpack outside of the Testing room.
- We will provide disinfecting wipes for students to use.
If Vanderbilt classes are meeting remotely, instructors will provide course content in a variety of ways; we assume most will use Brightspace. We have instructions posted on our website and have emailed faculty how to adjust the extended time for exams; however, with all of the changes going on, some instructors may not see this. Please be sure to follow up with each of your instructors and remind them of your testing accommodations well before an exam. By doing this, it will give your instructor time to contact us, if needed, to ensure your exam is accessible.
If you run into any additional access issues, please notify SA immediately.
The SA Testing Center will remain open. If you are on campus and need an accessible environment to take your exam, you are welcome to schedule with our office. As a reminder, you will still need to make sure the exam request is approved for the correct date/time on the Commodore Access Portal
- Important note: In-person availability will be limited to scheduled test times. Please contact email@example.com before stopping by our offices at the Baker Building.
You may want to be proactive and see if any of your Brightspace quizzes require the Respondus Lockdown Browser, as more faculty may be using it during this shift to online-only learning.
Additionally, Vanderbilt's Center for Teaching and Learning has created this student support page for online learning.
If you have questions or concerns about the details of your exam, please reach out to your instructor.
Thank you for your patience as the university monitors the COVID-19 situation. For more information on COVID-19 please visit Vanderbilt’s Coronavirus Resource Website.