Become a Repository
LAPOP ANNOUNCES THE AVAILABILITY OF THE AMERICASBAROMETER 2016/17 ROUND OF SURVEYS
We are pleased to make available, as of September 25, 2017, the data set series for the AmericasBarometer 2016/17. This round is the largest and most sophisticated survey of the Americas to date. It will ultimately include 29 countries and over 43,000 interviews, the majority of which were collected using sophisticated computer software that adds yet another layer to LAPOP’s meticulous quality control efforts.
All of the data are available for purchase in SPSS and STATA along with the questionnaires for each country (the core module is standard for all countries, but in each country country-specific items were asked).
This round includes a special series of items on state capacity and crime and violence, as well as content focuses on themes that have become viewed as standard for the project: political legitimacy; political tolerance; support for stable democracy; participation of civil society and social capital; the rule of law; evaluations of local governments; corruption victimization; and electoral behavior.
How to Become a Repository
If your institution is interested in adding to its repository of the AmericasBarometer data, please click here or email Rubi Arana for more information. The pricing remains the same as previous years-$250 per dataset for SPSS and STATA files, and $300 per dataset if you would like ASCII files. The total cost for all 28 countries would be $7,000 or $8,400 respectively.
Which Agreement to Choose: Individual vs. Institutional Data Repositories
If you are the only person accessing the data:
How will you be purchasing the data?
- If institutional funds – You will want to set up your agreement as an institutional data repository.
- If personal funds – You will want to set up your agreement as an individual data repository. If you will have more than one person accessing the data, you will want to set up your agreement as an institutional data repository. We recommend that institutional licenses be purchased by institutional funds. The Repository Agreement will need to be signed by an authorized agent from the institution.
Own and Subscribe
You or your institution can choose to both subscribe to the AmericasBarometer series (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2014) and become a data repository for any number of the datasets. Some people find this helpful if they subscribe to the 2004 - 2014, and purchase those they are interested in from prior to 2004 (also called backfiles or archives).
Should you prefer this alternative, please follow this link.
- The use of these data files is subject to U.S. Federal regulatory mandates pertaining to research involving the protection of human subjects.
- Users of the LAPOP datasets should carefully read the corresponding reports and/or articles for details of the sample designs of these surveys. Some of the samples are weighted, others are not. To obtain correct results, for weighted datasets, the appropriate weight variable, normally called WT, must be applied. See technical information for each country and round here. LAPOP is not responsible for errors made in the analysis or presentation of the data by users.
- Subscribers are not allowed to transfer data to any third parties.
- We ask that subscribers provide an appropriate acknowledgement to LAPOP as the source of data. See how to cite LAPOP here. Please also send LAPOP notice of any publications using the data by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org