Meet a Member – Pedro Rodriguez

Posted by on Friday, February 19, 2021 in Newsletter.

Pedro Rodríguez
postdoctoral fellow

How did you get involved with data science?

In the third year of my PhD in Political Science I decided to explore classes outside my discipline. I took classes in economics, cognitive psychology and data science. In my first data science course I was introduced to natural language processing (NLP) methods and applications. Just the realization that we could treat natural language as quantitative data opened up a world of possibilities. Around the same time I sat in on courses and seminars in cognitive computational modeling and began drawing from this literature for my research, noticing an obvious confluence, indeed in many cases shared origin, between the NLP methods I was learning and applications in cognitive psychology. Ultimately, these “exploratory incursions” into other disciplines ended up redefining the focus of my research interests and dissertation.

When you’re not at the DSI, what can we find you doing?

Pre-pandemic I’d be soaking in Nashville’s unique live music scene, trying out new restaurants or a new brewery. These days I’ll either be reading, practicing guitar (a hobby I took up upon arriving in Nashville, wonder why) or going for long walks/hiking at Centennial Park, Percy Warner, Radnor Lake or, most recently, in the Smoky Mountains.

What is a work related accomplishment you’re proud of?

This year? I’d have to go with publishing a chapter of my PhD dissertation in a top political science journal. More broadly, the multidisciplinary nature of my research.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?

Flight. The closest I’ve come is paragliding and it felt great. Now it would have the added benefit of being able to travel overseas safely.

Favorite place to eat in Nashville?

Mas Tacos Por Favor in East Nashville

How have you been spending your quarantine? Coping strategies, tips and tricks?

I’ve tried out new hobbies (playing guitar, cooking new dishes) and have been in touch more regularly with friends and family. A tip? Don’t go days on end without going outside, go for walks, hikes or, when it’s warm out, just sit in a park.

hometown: caracas, venezuela
Nashville resident:  1.5 years