Student Spotlight – Peter Busienei

Posted by on Tuesday, October 27, 2020 in Newsletter.

How did you become interested in Data Science?

My education journey has been very interesting. I completed my Bachelor of Science degree from Moi University, Kenya. When I came to the United States, I did my Master of Education degree with a concentration in Special Education at Tennessee State University. During my career as an exceptional educator, I saw many opportunities where I could capitalize on data to inform my teaching philosophy and drive my decisions on how to address academic standards. This ambition led me to join Nashville Software School for a six-month part-time intensive introduction to data analytics and business intelligence processes and tools. The boot camp emphasized on analytical reasoning through hands-on training in every stage of the analytics workflow using real data. We utilized tools such as Python, Tableau, Power BI, and SQL. My passion for data was clear and the aim to solve business problems using statistical inference was of interest. I desired to use data to inform and predict an outcome therefore solve unexpected business problems. That passion drew me to pursue a M.S in Data Science at Vanderbilt University.

Why did you choose Vanderbilt’s DS MS program?

Vanderbilt has been my dream school due to its excellence in education and research. In February 2020, I attended a two-day Intensive Analytics workshop hosted by  Professor Jesse Spencer-Smith (Chief Data Scientist at Vanderbilt University DSI). I learned then that Vanderbilt had a M.S in Data Science program which was enough to convince me that this was the next place I wanted to be.

What is your best piece of advice for an incoming student?

The Data Science program at Vanderbilt University is the best! It is advisable to have at least some background knowledge in programming languages such as R and Python. That doesn’t mean that if you don’t have it you are disadvantaged, No! The professors and the entire DSI team are amazing as they work with you. In addition, be prepared to work extra hard, nothing good comes easy!

What is it like to study and work on-campus?

I applied to be a graduate student worker with Office of Undergraduate Medical Education (OUME) due to my prior experience with Python. OUME needed an individual who had strong data management and statistics skills, which I did. It is very rewarding to work as a graduate student with OUME, and I am pleased to put into practice the skills that I am learning in the classroom. I am combining data from many different assessment activities into a longitudinal dataset and I help to prepare detailed reports and answer questions about the performance of learners and the assessment system. I am using Python and R to curate and wrangle the data. Putting skills learned into practice is the best way to solidify and apply my understanding of concepts.

How are you adapting to the new virtual learning lifestyle?

I am blessed to have managed the uncertainty that is with us. It’s been a blessing in disguise to have the virtual classes because I can re-watch the classroom videos. This has been advantageous especially if I had not understood a concept in the classroom. The flexibility that the situation has created is surreal. On the other hand, the grade schools started off with remote classes, so I was able to attend virtual classes at the same time taking care of my young son.

Favorite thing to do Nashville?

I like nature, and enjoy hiking in Percy Warner Park, playing lawn tennis, sight-seeing the beautiful scenery and historical artifacts within Nashville, and attending Nashville tech meetups.

Peter busienei, M.Ed
hometown: Nashville, tn