Meet a Member – Jaime Stanton

Posted by on Monday, October 12, 2020 in Newsletter.

Jaime Stanton
postdoctoral fellow

How did you get involved with data science?

In hindsight, I’d say I got involved with data science when I graduated college and started working as a biomedical image analyst at a startup in Boston. Prior to that, I went to a small liberal arts college and majored in theoretical math. Luckily, I was also pre-med, so with some good mentoring I was introduced to the world of biomedical image analysis, which was a great fit for someone interested in applying a math background to medically related problems. This work led me to pursue a PhD in ultrasound imaging at Vanderbilt. For my PhD, I developed machine learning techniques for improving blood flow imaging with ultrasound. As a DSI postdoc, I’ve transitioned within the ultrasound field to pursue solutions for improving anatomical B-mode imaging. Specifically, I have been developing deep learning tools to improve ultrasound beamforming (i.e., image reconstruction). So, to summarize, I think I’ve been involved with data science-related work for a while, despite not always having an official data science affiliation!

When you’re not at the DSI, what can we find you doing?

This answer has changed quite a bit given the current state of things. Prior to Covid, I went to yoga almost daily, and I loved going out to eat and trying to keep up with all of the new restaurants that were popping up in Nashville. Since Covid hit, I have been running and hiking more, and my husband and I (mainly my husband) have been cooking a lot more at home. We also adopted a puppy at the beginning of April, and she has made our lives much more exciting and has brought us so much joy during these crazy times!

What is a work related accomplishment you’re really proud of?

One of my goals during my postdoc was to submit my work to a conference that was outside of my ultrasound-specific comfort zone. I’m proud of myself for accomplishing this goal and also for getting accepted to the conference, which I presented at virtually this past week!

Favorite place to eat in Nashville?

Any of the M street restaurants! (Virago, Cucina Moto Enoteca, Kayne Prime, Saint Anejo, Whiskey Kitchen, Tavern Midtown)

What show are you currently binge watching?

Ozark

hometown: Bourne, MA
Nashville resident:  6 years