Skip to Content

Home > Students > International Students

International Students

The Vanderbilt University International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is the primary source of employment information for international students. The information below has been reviewed and approved by ISSS.

All prospective international student employees must:

  1. Receive a job/employment offer.
  2. Have the appropriate Visa to be allowed to work. For more information about Visa requirements, international students should visit the International Student and Scholar Services website.
  3. Maintain full-time enrollment to remain eligible to work. International students may work 20 hours per week during academic periods.
  4. If you do not have a social security number: Visit the ISSS to receive a letter of authorization/form to collect appropriate signatures. This must be taken to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
  5. Visit Vanderbilt HR Express located at 2525 West End Ave. to complete the I-9 process. You must have your social security number or the issued SS-5 receipt received from the SSA at the time of I-9 process.
  6. W-4: Hiring administrators should access International Services website, and complete "Placeholder Number and Windstar Access Request" found on the Quick Links on the Home Page.
    Note: Request for Placeholder Number (PHN) will not be issued to Vanderbilt foreign students, so answer to this question should be "NO". Once the request for Windstar Access is complete, they should click on "Submit". This form will automatically be sent to the International Tax Office (ITO) group mail,  Access information and/or instructions to complete the process will be sent to the student. If additional assistance is needed, the student should email         

In addition, international student employees should become familiar with the U.S. laws pertaining to paying taxes and filing income tax returns.

Work authorization for off-campus jobs is allowed only with specific authorization from the ISSS or from the USCIS. Therefore, international students, are strongly encouraged to search for on-campus jobs by:

  1. Searching the HireADore Job Bank, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  2. Visiting campus departments directly and asking about available positions.

Students looking for a job should visit
Getting Hired at Vanderbilt.

HireADore online job bank
and a
SnagAJob mobile app are available.

FB Logo

Hiring Departments

The BuzzGet the latest updates by reading the HireADore Newsletter - formerly The Buzz.