As you complete your study abroad application, you may find the following tips helpful. These tips are only relevant for GEO-run study abroad programs during the academic year and summer, and do not apply to the College of Arts and Science's Maymester Abroad programs.
Application and Predeparture Process Overview
This is a phased, streamlined process:
- Complete the application(s) by GEO's deadline;
- Internal eligibility review or "clearance" by GEO;
- Nomination: GEO will let your program know that you are approved to study abroad;
- Acceptance: Your program will decide whether you can be admitted and communicate that decision to you;
- Commitment to attend and eligibility maintenance: You will formally commit to attending your chosen program, and work to ensure your continued eligibility;
- Pre-departure preparation: You will work with your program and GEO to complete post-decision requirements, visa applications, etc.;
- Registration for study abroad: GEO will register you to study abroad.
At each of these stages, you will receive instructions and email reminders alerting you to your immediate action steps. In addition to staying on track with your Vanderbilt requirements, you must also follow instructions and complete tasks required by your study abroad program.
You must complete both the GEO application and the program provider application (if applicable) by the GEO deadline. The GEO deadline is usually earlier than the study abroad program's published deadline. Deadlines are not flexible—if you think you might want to study abroad, complete an application by the deadline!
Applying to Multiple Programs
The GEO application portal allows 2 applications per student per application cycle. A backup application is recommended, ideally with a different provider and in a different region. If you are accepted to both your primary and backup programs, you will need to commit to one program and withdraw from the other by the .
Submitting your GEO application
There is no "submit" button in your GEO application. As long as every requirement has been checked off, your application will be considered complete and ready for review.
Nomination and Home School Approval
If your program application requires a home school approval, please note that this is an advisor task that will be completed after the GEO deadline as part of your nomination. You can only be nominated if your GEO and program provider applications are complete by the deadline and if you pass the eligibility review. You do not need to email your GEO advisor about this task.
Tips for successful application
- Your applications will be reviewed after the GEO deadline regardless of date of submission. However, we don't recommend that you wait until the last minute to apply as your program application may have requirements (such as a letter of recommendation) that take longer to complete.
- You should have already done your preparation and planning work for study abroad, ideally with a GEO advisor, prior to application. The programs you apply to should be good academic fit and meet your personal and professional goals. If you have not met with the GEO advisor for your program, please .
If you are just getting started with your study abroad planning, please check out the Getting Started page.