EVOST: Evolution@Vanderbilt Organization for Students and Trainees
Mission: Create a community of students and trainees interested in any facet of evolutionary studies for the following purposes:
- To enrich individual research goals and intellectual development through interdisciplinary communication and collaboration;
- To support the missions of the Evolution@Vanderbilt Initiative through attendance at events; and
- To support the missions of the Evolution@Vanderbilt Initiative by leading events/initiatives.
Commitment: Students who join EVOST are expected to:
- Attend Evolution@Vanderbilt seminars and events when possible;
- Promote the activities of the Evolution@Vanderbilt Initiative within their individual labs, departments or schools;
- Attend 2 meetings of the EVOST per semester
Goals for AY19-20: In the first year of the organization the goals proposed goals are, but not limited to, the following:
- Create a list-serve of individuals involved in EVOST;
- Propose several speakers for the following year’s Evolution Center’s weekly seminar series;
- Meet with speakers of interest;
- Meet twice a semester to discuss the Evolution Center, provide feedback, and socialize with the faculty board of the Evolution Center.
Other potential initiatives: There are a number of initiatives that could be taken on by EVOST depending on interest and availability (with funding provided by the Center). These include opportunities such as:
- Establish an annual Darwin Day at Vanderbilt;
- Outreach initiatives focused on evolution within the Nashville community;
- A day long Evolution-themed symposium / retreat hosted at Vanderbilt; and
- Your idea here!
Interested? E-mail Dr. Abigail L. LaBella to join the EVOST e-mail list and find out about our organization and meetings.