Treasures of Italy's Far South
September 26 – October 5, 2023
FROM $5,190 PER PERSON BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY.
Special guests or host TBD
The regions of Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria are rich in history and natural beauty, with ancient cities featuring glorious architecture, important archaeological remains, and bucolic villages that have changed little through the centuries. Known in antiquity as Magna Graecia, this part of Italy was sought after by a succession of empires eager to exploit its fertile land and convenient trade routes.
In Puglia, in the heel of Italy’s boot, we explore the fascinating village of Alberobello, a UNESCO World Heritage site that features over 1,500 ancient trulli buildings.
In the neighboring region of Basilicata, we visit another UNESCO site in Matera’s old town—a labyrinth of cave houses carved out of the limestone. In Calabria, the toe of the Italian boot, we tour ancient hilltop villages including Rossano, Gerace, and Santa Severina, which house treasures revealing Calabria’s long and rich history.
We conclude in Reggio di Calabria, which guards the Strait of Messina, and where we will see the celebrated Riace Bronzes. Along the way we will enjoy the magnificent countryside of vineyards, olive groves, and picturesque hill towns through which we travel, and we will feast on the local cuisine, including fruits and vegetables fresh from the garden, as well as regional specialties, including cheeses and wines.
Call (615) 322-3673 or contact us to learn more and register.
- Three nights at the Relais Villa San Martino, Martina Franca; two nights at the Hotel Lido degli Scogli, Crotone; one night at the Grand Hotel President, Siderno; two nights at the Excelsior Palace Hotel, Reggio di Calabria
- Educational program of lectures and discussions by accompanying Vanderbilt faculty
- American breakfast each morning at the hotels
- Four lunches and five dinners, with wine or beer
- Transportation by air-conditioned, Wi-Fi equipped motorcoach
- Tours and excursions as described in the itinerary, with professional English-speaking guides
- Airport/hotel transfers and luggage handling at designated times in Bari on September 27, and in Reggio di Calabria on October 5
- Entrance fees to museums and historic sites
- All local taxes and service charges
- Gratuities to drivers, guides, and porters
- The services of an experienced Thalassa Journeys trip director
- Complete predeparture material.