The Office of Student Care Coordination at Vanderbilt is the central and first point of contact for undergraduate, graduate, or professional students who may have an academic, personal, emotional, medical, and/or other concern. Student Care Coordinators individually assess each student’s needs and explore resources within Vanderbilt’s Student Care Network and/or the Nashville community to facilitate connections to the most appropriate supports. Because a successful plan may include multiple resources, Student Care Coordinators can provide continuity of care and accountability through supportive follow-up meetings with students to evaluate successes, barriers, and/or gaps in support.
It’s important to note that care coordination is not counseling or therapy. Rather, Student Care Coordinators have the opportunity to develop close helping relationships with students while coaching them toward appropriate resources, self-care, and self-advocacy.
- Consult with students, faculty, staff, families, and community members/providers to determine the best approach for a student’s individual situation
- Respond to concerns from the Vanderbilt community about students in distress
- Reach out to and follow-up with students in distress
- Assess a student’s needs
- Meet with students one-on-one to develop a student success plan
- Facilitate continuity of care and continued support with students via follow-up meetings (in-person, email and/or telephone)
- Provide referrals to campus and community resources and assist with scheduling appointments
- Coordinate academic support following illness or hospitalization (i.e., coordination of Dean’s notification)
- Provide support for students returning from a Medical Leave of Absence
- The Office of Student Care Coordination is glad to accept requests submitted by student organizations, staff, and faculty for presentations on the Student Care Network, services provided by the Office of Student Care Coordination, and responding to students in distress. Please click here to request a presentation.