Daily Parking Program
Vanderbilt offers a daily parking program that includes five parking locations. Participants pay to park only on days they drive a vehicle to campus. Only daily parking participants have access to the daily parking facilities and are eligible for sustainable commute incentives and programs.
Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, postdocs and graduate and professional students are eligible for the daily parking program.
Please note the following:
- Adjunct faculty are not eligible unless on salaried payroll; when completing the application, please indicate you are Adjunct Faculty, and we will follow up with the Payroll team to confirm eligibility.
- Undergraduate students are not eligible for the program.
- Employees with payroll or benefits through Vanderbilt University Medical Center are also not eligible for the program.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
If you are already enrolled in the daily parking program, you do not need to reapply each academic year. Check your enrollment status.
Faculty, staff, postdocs and graduate and professional students interested in daily parking must complete the Parking Application in the MoveVU Commute Hub by the 25th of the month to be enrolled by the first of the following month. Applications are continually accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply for daily parking:
- Eligible individuals must apply by the 25th of each month.
- Create an account in the MoveVU Commute Hub if you have not already.
- Log into the MoveVU Commute Hub.
- Select Parking on the left-hand side of your screen.
- Select the Parking Application tab near the top of your screen.
- Follow the instructions.
Your application will indicate Submitted. Staff will review your information, and the status will change to Pending Approval. After the 25th of the month, your application will change to Active and you will receive additional information via e-mail on how to use daily parking on the 1st of the next month.
Staff regularly monitor the capacity of the daily parking facilities. Although we do not anticipate these facilities to be full, staff may place you on a waiting list if conditions change in the future.
New Employees Interested in Daily Parking:
New employees who are interested in daily parking should complete the daily parking application by the 25th of the month and can purchase a new employee permit valid for 30 days. The permit allows the new employee to park in any annual parking garage or lot until access to the daily parking facilities is activated on the 1st of the next month. New employee permits are $52 (Band 1 rate) and must be paid in full upfront at the Parking Services office with a debit or credit card or check. This is a one-time purchase, and no extensions will be granted. New employees also have the option to utilize sustainable commute options or hourly paid parking spaces in select garages and lots across campus if they do not want to purchase a new employee permit.
RATES AND INCENTIVES
Daily Parking Rate:
- $8 per day at all daily parking facilities starting Sept. 1.
- Only pay on days you park on campus.
Parking events will automatically be logged in the MoveVU Commute Hub tool when you tap your Vanderbilt ID card to access one of the daily parking facilities. When you tap your Vanderbilt ID card at the card reader, the reader turns green, the gate opens, and your parking event automatically logs in your Commute Calendar. You can park in any of the daily parking facilities and are only charged once per day (regardless of entries in multiple daily parking facilities in one day).
Sustainable Commute Incentive:
Daily parking program participants who take sustainable commutes to campus will earn a $1 daily incentive each time they choose a sustainable commute up to a total of $20 per month, assuming a 20-day work month. Eligible sustainable commutes include walking, biking, transit (bus and train), carpooling and vanpooling. Access the Guaranteed Ride Home program in the event of an emergency or unforeseen circumstance.
In order to verify sustainable commutes for accounting and auditing purposes, please ensure that your sustainable commute is accurately reflected in the MoveVU Commute Hub calendar each day you take a sustainable commute to campus. Changes cannot be made after a reporting period closes. Sustainable commute incentives cannot be earned on holidays and weekends, but you are encouraged to log those trips too to gain an accurate depiction of your commuting habits.
The following sustainable commute options can be logged in the Commute Calendar:
- Walk: Strava and MapMyFitness are integrated with the MoveVU Commute Hub. Connect your account to the MoveVU Commute Hub, and start your walking trip at the beginning of your commute and end it once you reach campus. A walk trip will be automatically logged in the Commute Calendar.
- Bike: Strava and MapMyFitness are integrated with the MoveVU Commute Hub. Connect your account to the MoveVU Commute Hub and start your bicycling trip at the beginning of your commute and end it once you reach campus. A bike trip will be automatically logged in the Commute Calendar.
- Bus: Swipe your Vanderbilt ID card as payment on WeGo local and regional buses. You will need to manually log your bus trip afterwards in the Commute Calendar.
- Commuter Rail/Train: If you ride the WeGo Star, show your Vanderbilt ID to the ticket officer when requested. You will need to manually log your commuter rail trip afterwards in the Commute Calendar.
- Carpool: If you are the driver, swipe your Vanderbilt ID card at the garage entrance. Modify your parking activity in the Commute Calendar as a “carpool trip” and tag your rider(s), so that the parking charge can be split accordingly. If you are the rider, the driver must tag you as a rider and you must accept to split the charge.
- Vanpool: Before logging your vanpool trip, please ensure that your vanpool group is registered on the MoveVU Commute Hub, and that you are listed as a member of that vanpool.
The MoveVU Parking Calculator
For a personalized recommendation based on your parking and transportation needs, use the parking calculator. It will consider your Vanderbilt affiliation, how often and where you will be on campus and what sustainable commute opportunities are available to you and provide a comparison of the estimated monthly cost for each parking option.
HOW PARKING CHARGES AND COMMUTE INCENTIVES ARE PROCESSED
Parking charges and commute incentives will be recorded in the MoveVU Commute Hub and will be processed in the following manner:
- Faculty and Staff: Faculty and staff parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited consistent with current parking payroll deductions: monthly employees – reflected on monthly check; weekly and biweekly employees – reflected on second check. Please note that charges and incentives are one month behind.
- Postdocs: Please note that parking charges and commute incentives are processed differently for Postdoc Scholars & Postdoc Non-Exempt individuals and Postdoc Trainees.
- Postdoc Scholars and Postdoc Non-Exempt: Postdoc Scholar and Non-Exempt parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited consistent with current parking payroll deductions: monthly employees – reflected on monthly check; weekly and biweekly employees – reflected on second check.
- Postdoc Trainees: Parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited within the Commodore Cash account. Postdoc Trainees load funds onto their Commodore Cash account to pay for parking charges. The suggested amount per month is $120. Negative account balances will receive a warning e-mail before access to daily parking garages is turned off. Charges and incentives are processed the following Monday each week. An account must be paid in full before departure from Vanderbilt.
- Charges and incentives are one month behind.
- Graduate and Professional Students: Parking charges and commute incentives are debited and credited within the Commodore Cash account. Graduate and professional students load funds onto their Commodore Cash account to pay for parking charges. The suggested amount per month is $120. Negative account balances will receive a warning e-mail before access to daily parking garages is turned off. Charges and incentives are processed the following Monday each week. An account must be paid in full before departure from Vanderbilt.
Please note the following:
- All community members can monitor charges and incentives through the Commute Calendar at any time. Any parking appeals will need to be resolved before the end of your pay period.
- Upon termination of employment with Vanderbilt University, a departing employee* must request in writing (an email is acceptable) a refund of any earned credit amount by contacting Human Resources within thirty (30) calendar days of the employment separation date. After thirty (30) days, all unclaimed credits shall be irrevocably waived and forfeited. *Employees include faculty, staff, postdoc scholars and non-exempt postdocs.
- Incentive awards may be subject to Federal income tax. Each participant is responsible for reporting and paying any tax due on the incentive awards. Please consult your tax advisor for guidance and more information.