Day of Discovery (Overton cluster)
The Day of Discovery at the Nashville Zoo (DoDZ) is open to 7th and 8th grade students at the following schools:
- Croft Design Center Middle Prep
- McMurray Middle Prep
- William Henry Oliver Middle Prep
Students at these schools travel to the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere outdoor classroom in the Croft Center. Students meet from 9:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. one school day per week and engage in inquiry based STEM learning co-taught by CSEO instructors.
Curriculum at the Zoo
The DoDZ curriculum leverages the resources of the Nashville Zoo, the expertise of the zoo staff & special guest, and the teaching experience of the instructors. Students engage in active-learning lessons focused on answering relevant questions:
- What is the mission of the zoo and why is it important?
- How do humans and other organisms fit into the timeline of the Earth’s history?
- Why and how do we study animals?
- How do we use the tools of science to answer questions about animal behavior?
- How do animals use their habitats?
- What is an activity budget and how do we create one?
- What are Wildlife Crimes and how do we solve them?
To better address these questions, students will study the following topics with our instructors, zoo staff, and leading experts, all while developing essential soft skills and scientific research skills.
- Earth History
Students who are positive, attentive, brave, and curious about the natural world are welcome.
See more information about applying to Day of Discovery HERE