How to Apply
REHSS Application Information
The REHSS application is now CLOSED.
The 2021 REHSS program has been canceled due to continuing COVID safety protocols.
REHSS 2022 application dates will be provided soon.
We invite students to apply to the Research Experience for High School Students (REHSS) program in the spring semester of their junior year. Admission decisions take into consideration high school grades, rigor of courses taken, curriculum vitae or resume, essays, and two recommendations.
The REHSS Program is for students who:
- are sixteen (16) years of age or older by May of the program year (No exceptions will be made),
- are high school juniors at the time of application,
- are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and
- live, at the time of application, within the Nashville area and surrounding counties (Davidson, Robertson, Sumner, Williamson, Cheatham, Rutherford, and Wilson County) or individuals that will reside with an approved resident (eighteen (18) years of age or older) in the listed counties for the duration of the 6-week program.*
*Proof of residence must be provided along with a guardian-signed notarized letter indicating housing accommodations. We will accept the following kinds of documents as proof of residence: National ID, Driver’s license, Signed lease/rental agreement** or Recent utility bill (gas, water, electric, landline phone, cable TV).
**This excludes Air BNB and extended stay reservation agreements
Prospective candidates must apply online through our REDCap survey. The 2022 REHSS application will be available in February 2022. It requires submission of:
- A curriculum vitae or resume,
- High school transcripts. Your full high school transcript must include your recently completed Fall semester grades (in a quarter system, this includes first and second quarter grades),
- Two (2) essays*, and
- Names and contact information for two references. You will be required to enter the email addresses for two people who will submit a recommendation on your behalf. One recommendation should be from a science or math teacher, and the other recommendation should be from a counselor, advisor, or teacher who knows you well. Once you submit your online application, instructions for submitting a recommendation will be emailed automatically to your recommenders.
*Essay prompts will be provided on the REHSS application
Applications will only be reviewed after all of the materials listed above are received.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the admissions process. Therefore, you should ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application, and inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
To contact the REHSS program via email: REHSS@vanderbilt.edu