Skip to main content

Need SPA Email Addresses? - please click on Contact Us

Data Use Agreements

A Data Use Agreement may be needed when there is a transfer of certain types of information to Vanderbilt University from an outside entity. Data types that may need a DUA might include human or animal subject research, data protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) [including Protected Health Information (PHI)], education records as defined by the Family Educational Rights Act (FERPA), or Personally Identifiable Information (PII).  This list of examples is not exhaustive.

Completion of this REDCap form will assist in assessing contracting and information security needs in order to receive data in a manner according to regulations and University compliance requirements. Please include a pdf of the form (which will be emailed to you upon completion) in a new PEER Contract Request along with a copy of the draft Data Use Agreement.

For questions about the form, contract/agreement, or general DUA processes contact:   

For questions about information security requirements contact:


*May also be called “Data Transfer Agreement,” “Data Transfer and Use Agreement,” or other similar title.  The form may also be required for any research-related agreement containing data security requirements (e.g., Nondisclosure Agreement, Sponsored Research Agreement).