Latinx Graduates Celebration
Raíces y Sueños: Latinx Graduates Celebration 2019
When: Thursday, May 9, 2019
Where: Student Life Center Ballrooms
Doors open at 12:30pm
1:00 – 2:15pm Ceremony
2:15 – 3:00pm Reception
Students must register online to participate by April 22nd.
The Latinx Graduates Celebration, “Raíces y Sueños,” is a recognition ceremony held once a year by the Latinx community at Vanderbilt to celebrate the achievements and successes of all graduating Latinx students. The ceremony serves as a unique space for students to pay homenaje to family, friends, faculty, staff, and administrators who have supported their journeys. With food, music, graduation stoles, guest speakers, student awards, and photo opportunities, we invite all to join us in this fun and family-oriented celebration!
La celebración de los graduados, “Raíces y Sueños,” es una ceremonia celebrada por la comunidad Latinx de Vanderbilt cada año para celebrar los logros y los éxitos de todos los graduados Latinxs. La ceremonia sirve como un espacio único en el cual los estudiantes rinden homenaje a sus familias, sus amigos, la facultad, los empleados, y los administradores que los apoyaron en la universidad. ¡Te invitamos a que nos acompañes en esta celebración tan divertida y orientado a nuestras familias! Ven a disfrutar con bocaditos, música, la entrega de estolas para la graduación, oradores invitados, premios estudiantiles, y oportunidades para tomar fotos.
Participation is open to all undergraduate, graduate, and professional students who will earn their degree from Vanderbilt University in the designated academic year. Students must register online before the deadline in order to guarantee participation and recognition in the printed program. Please note that the Raíces y Sueños: Latinx Graduates Celebration is held in addition to formal graduation events and is not a substitute for the official Commencement ceremony.
Mandatory Participant Rehearsal
When: Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Where: Student Life Center Ballrooms
3:00 – 5:00pm Rehearsal
Students must attend the mandatory rehearsal to participate in the ceremony.
Registration is open March 18th to April 22nd. The registration form is available online at bit.ly/latinxgc or through the IICC Anchor Link page. Alternate versions of this registration form may be requested by contacting Kristen Lemaster at email@example.com or 615 875 1709 in advance of the April 22nd deadline.
The celebration is free and open to all students and their guests.
This year’s ceremony will also feature the presentation of student awards focused on leadership, community service, and impact. Nominations will be accepted until April 12th and can be completed online through the IICC Anchor Link page or at https://anchorlink.vanderbilt.edu/submitter/form/start/255243. (Note: you must be logged in to the Anchor Link system to submit your form.)
Families & Guest Information
Parking and Transportation
- The Student Life Center (SLC) is located at 310 25th Avenue South on Vanderbilt’s campus. The address can be entered into map-based websites and applications for specific driving or walking directions. SLC ballrooms are located on the main floor of the building. There will be event signage posted the day of the ceremony to help with navigation.
- Travel directions to Vanderbilt University from the Nashville International Airport (BNA) and via the Interstates are available on the Commencement website: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/commencement/guests/getting-here.php
- The closest parking for guests is available at the 25th Garage or Kensington Place Garage, both approximately a 5-minute walk from the Student Life Center. Wesley Place and Terrace Place garages are also available, at 15-minute walking distance, with Thursday shuttle service from 9am-1pm.
- The Office of International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) can assist with inviting guests who live outside of the United States and need travel documentation to attend Commencement-related events. Request an Invitation Letter: https://redcap.vanderbilt.edu/surveys/?s=LAPNFE38FM
- Parts of the formal ceremony will be verbally communicated in both Spanish and English. A printed translation of key sections of the ceremony will also be available in Portuguese. To request printed translation of the ceremony into another language, or to arrange for a sign language interpreter, please contact Kristen Lemaster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615 875 1709 at least 2 weeks in advance.
- The Vanderbilt Student Accessibility Services Program provides wheelchair reservations and drop-off permits on a request basis during Commencement-related events: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/commencement/guests/special-needs.php
- Please contact Kristen Lemaster at email@example.com or 615 875 1709 at least 2 weeks in advance if you/your guests will need seating or accessibility accommodations during the Latinx Graduates Celebration (accessible seating, deaf/hard of hearing services, etc.).