The health, safety, and security of students, faculty, and staff are of primary importance to Vanderbilt. The Vanderbilt Office of Global Safety team is here to support and guide you.
Email the Office of Global Safety: email@example.com.
What We Do
Prepare Members of the VU Community for Travel
- Oversee the Vanderbilt travel registration process of all VU-sponsored international travel (undergraduate, graduate, and professional students as well as faculty and staff). Learn More
- Gather resources from across the university, peer institutions, and government agencies
- Review travel plans for high risk destinations and/or when there is a significant health or safety concern
- Provide and consult on pre-departure orientations and trainings for groups across the university
Health Insurance, Advising & Consultations
- Provide individualized health and safety advising and travel consultations for faculty, staff, and all students on issues including mental health support, resilient travel, identities abroad, continued care plans, etc.
- Coordinate the use of Vanderbilt’s international health and evacuation insurance for travelers abroad. Learn More.
Travel Risk Assessment & Management
In partnership with the Vanderbilt Travel Risk Assessment Committee (VTRAC) we:
- Assess the safety, security, and preparedness of overseas study abroad and student travel sites
- Work with travelers to provide location specific risk assessment + create mitigation plans
- Monitor relevant security updates and alerts from Vanderbilt’s international security provider and relevant government agencies
- Provide dedicated safety-related guidance and assistance for members of the VU community who are away on VU-sponsored travel
24/7 Emergency + Crisis Response
We will respond 24/7 to emergency and crisis situations abroad and connect travelers to relevant resources to ensure continuity of care and response.
Please call us and tell the VU Public Safety dispatcher that you are reporting an issue to VIRT.
Global Safety and Security Team
24/7 Emergency: Office of Global Safety
Please tell the VU Public Safety dispatcher that you are reporting an issue to VIRT.
US State Department
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. Ensure that you receive localized embassy communications and can be located by the US government in an emergency (US citizens only)
- Overseas Security Advisory Council. Private sector-governmental committee that provides security analysis of areas and events around the world.
- Travel.state.gov. Information and services for travelers, including travel risk ratings.
Other Governmental Resources
- US Centers for Disease Control. Health and disease information and recommendations by country.
- World Health Organization. Country-specific and topic-specific health information, as well as notices about disease outbreaks and health emergencies.
- Travel Safety Administration. Information on travel and security screenings.
Preparing for Safe & Healthy Travel Abroad