Serving the Vanderbilt Traveling Community
The health, safety, and security of students, faculty, and staff are of primary concern to Vanderbilt. This section of the website provides the necessary information on safety guidelines, upcoming events, and resources for travel. The Vanderbilt Global Safety and Security team is here to support you.
What We Do
- provide dedicated 24/7 safety-related guidance and assistance for members of the VU community who are away on VU-sponsored travel
- respond to emergency and crisis situations abroad and connect travelers to relevant on-campus resources to ensure continuity of care and response
- review travel plans for high risk destinations and/or when there is a significant health or safety concern
- work with travelers to provide location specific risk assessments and to create risk mitigation plans
- oversee the Vanderbilt travel registration process of all VU-sponsored student travel (undergraduate, graduate, and professional students)
- coordinate the use of Vanderbilt’s international health insurance plan for travelers abroad
- monitor relevant security updates and alerts from Vanderbilt’s international security provider and relevant government agencies
- provide individualized health and safety advising and travel consultations for faculty, staff, and all students on issues including mental health support, resilient travel, identities abroad, continued care plans, etc.
- consult on pre-departure orientations and trainings for groups across the university
- gather resources from across the university, peer institutions, and government agencies to prepare members of the VU community for travel
Global Safety and Security Team
Andrea Bordeau is VU’s Global Safety and Security Manager, supporting the entire Vanderbilt community in their travel away from campus. As Safety and Security Manager, Andrea works to review and implement VU travel policies collaboratively with offices across campus. She assists travelers by providing expert risk assessment and mitigation strategies. Andrea provides personalized travel consultation and pre-departure training for individuals and groups. In leading the VIRT team, she provides time sensitive guidance during complex emergency situations and connects travelers with appropriate care.
With over 13 years of experience in the field of international education and student support, Andrea is deeply committed to enhancing student mobility through a focus on health, safety, and security. Andrea has led international workshops and webinars on topics such as risk mitigation, crisis communication, and supporting student mental health and well-being. She has recently contributed to the creation of The Forum on Education Abroad’s Guidelines for Conducting Study Abroad during COVID-19. Andrea also serves as President of the international peer network Pulse: International Safety and Security Professionals in Higher Education, Inc., a position she has held since 2018. She has visited over 65 countries and has competency in Arabic, Hebrew, Italian, and Spanish. Andrea has participated in training with FEMA, the United States Foreign Service Institute, and Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) through the U.S. Department of State. Andrea completed her graduate work in the fields of Middle East History and Security Studies at Tel Aviv University in Israel and African Studies at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.
Tandra Martin is VU’s Global Safety and Security Coordinator. She supports the university’s ability to respond to the rapidly changing global landscape by coordinating long range projects and assisting with 24/7 emergency response. She is committed to supporting the health, safety, and security for members of the Vanderbilt community as they meaningfully engage and learn across places and cultures. Her work primarily focuses on supporting undergraduate students, student organizations, and scholarship travel, in addition to other members of the Vanderbilt travel community through pre-departure training, risk assessment, education, and advising.
She is a member of Pulse: International Safety and Security Professionals in Higher Education, Inc. and the Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) through the U.S. Department of State. She also serves on Diversity Abroad’s Task Force for Student Support and Advising. She studied Arabic and completed research on women’s and girls’ access to education in the MENA region as a Boren scholar in Meknes, Morocco, and she also served as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Tandra holds a B.S. in International Relations from Middle Tennessee State University and M.A. in Leadership and Public Service from Lipscomb University.
Contact Global Safety
Andrea Bordeau, Global Safety and Security Manager
Tandra Martin, Global Safety and Security Coordinator
VIRT (Vanderbilt Incident Response for Travel)
+1 (615) 322-2745 (emergency, 24/7)