Skip to main content

Brand Engagement and Governance

Prospective Licensees

Jump To:


Types of Licenses 

Vanderbilt University owns the rights to the logos, symbols, verbiage, and marks that reference Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Anyone wishing to use a Vanderbilt University or Vanderbilt University Medical Center trademark or one which can be associated with the university must obtain a license. There are two (2) types of licenses. The Internal Campus Supplier license is managed by Vanderbilt University. The Retail license is managed by CLC. 

  • Internal Campus Supplier (ICS)- For companies that will produce products for internal departments and groups at Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center. With this license, a company is not permitted to sell products to retail. Royalties are exempt on most sales into this channel. To become a licensee, vendors must participate in an extensive request for proposal (RFP) process every five (5) years. For this program, new contracts started July 1, 2021. 
  • Retail License- For companies that will produce products bearing the trademarks of the University for sale at retail in approved retail channels and direct to consumer channels. For more information, CLICK HERE.

Crafters License

A crafter is defined as an individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks, and selling/distributing to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This might include events organized by a church, school, county, state, craft, holiday, Junior League, street festivals, gift marts, or flea markets. In addition, no more than (500) units may be sold per year and less than ($2500) total sales per year per university. No sales will be permitted on a wholesale basis or to a third-party retailer.
To obtain a Crafters License for Vanderbilt University, CLICK HERE
Please note that Vanderbilt University owns its trademarks, names, seals, and symbols and must grant permission prior to any use of these marks. Failure to do so is an infringement of the university’s federally protected trademarks.