004 Wilson Hall
B.S.Chem., University of Denver, 1982
Ph.D., University of Utah, 1986
Psychology 216: Movement
Psychology 335: Neuroscience and Law
Jeffrey D. Schall
E. Bronson Ingram Professor of Neuroscience
Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences
* Director of Center for Integrative Cognition & Cognitive Neuroscience
Director of Vanderbilt Vision Research Center
Schall's research aims to understand how the brain guides and controls actions by monitoring the signals in the frontal lobe during performance of visual search and countermanding tasks. His current work is addressing these questions: How does the brain choose where to look? How does the brain produce attention and awareness? How does the brain control whether and when to produce a movement? How does the brain know when it makes a mistake?
- Hanes, D.P. and J.D. Schall (1996) Neural control of voluntary movement initiation. Science 274:427-430.
- Bichot, N.P. and J.D. Schall (1999) Effects of similarity and history on neural mechanisms of visual selection. Nature Neuroscience 2:549-554.
- Schall, J.D. and K.G. Thompson (1999) Neural selection and control of visually guided eye movements. Annual Review of Neuroscience 22:241-259.
- Stuphorn V, Taylor TL, Schall JD (2000) Performance monitoring by supplementary eye field. Nature 408:857-860.
- Sato T, Murthy A, Thompson KG, Schall JD (2001) Effect of search efficiency but not response interference on visual selection in frontal eye field. Neuron 30:583-591.
- Schall, JD (2001) Neural basis of deciding, choosing and acting. Nature Reviews Neuroscience 2:33-42.
- Bichot NP, Schall JD (2002) Priming in macaque frontal cortex during popout visual search: feature-based facilitation and location-based inhibition of return. Journal of Neuroscience 22:4675-4685.
- Schall JD, Stuphorn V, Brown J (2002) Monitoring and control of gaze by the frontal lobes. Neuron 36:309-322.
- Sato, T.R., Schall, J.D. (2003). Effects of stimulus-response compatibility on neural selection in frontal eye field. Neuron 38, 637-648.
- Ito S., Stuphorn V., Brown J.W., Schall J.D. (2003) Performance monitoring by the anterior cingulate cortex during saccade countermanding. Science 302:120-122.
- Schall J.D. (2003) On building bridges between brain and behavior. Annual Review of Psychology 55:23-50
- Boucher L, Logan GD, Palmeri TJ, Schall JD (2007) Inhibitory control in mind and brain: An interactive race model of countermanding saccades. Psychological Review 114:376-397.
- Woodman GF, Kang M-S, Rossi, AF, Schall JD (2007) Nonhuman primate event-related potentials indexing covert shifts of attention. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 104:15111-15116.
- Emeric EE, Brown JW, Leslie M, Pouget P, Stuphorn V, Schall JD (2008) Error-related local field potentials in the medial frontal cortex of primates: Anterior cingulate cortex. Journal of Neurophysiology 99:759-772.
- Cohen JY, Crowder EA, Heitz RP, Thompson KG, Rao SC, Schall JD (2009) Cooperation and competition among frontal eye field neurons during visual target selection. Journal of Neuroscience 30:3227-3238
- Purcell BA, Heitz RP, Cohen JY, Logan GD, Schall JD, Palmeri TJ (2010) Neurally constrained modeling of perceptual decision making. Psychological Review (in press)
- 2009 Chancellor's Research Award (with Gordon Logan and Tom Palmeri)
- 2004 Fellow of the Association of Psychological Science
- 2002 Elected into International Neuropsychology Symposium
- 2001 Ellen Gregg Ingalls Award for Excellence in Classroom Teaching
- 1998 Troland Research Award, National Academy of Sciences
- 1997-2000 Investigator Award, McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience
- 1990-1992 Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow
- 1986 James W. Prahl Memorial Award for the Outstanding Graduate Student, University of Utah School of Medicine
- 1986 Phi Kappa Phi, University of Utah
- 1982 Phi Beta Kappa, University of Denver