New MoveVU program provides backup ‘Guaranteed Ride Home’ for enrolled commuters
A new MoveVU program called “Guaranteed Ride Home” provides sustainable commuters* with a free Lyft ride home in the event of an emergency or unforeseen circumstance. This new offering is available to faculty, staff, postdocs, graduate and professional students. Available through the MoveVU Commute Hub, the program is intended to offer eligible users the safety net and confidence they need to feel comfortable taking sustainable commute options to campus, knowing that they will be able to take a free ride home a certain number of times a year if necessary.
*sustainable commuter refers to someone who takes a sustainable commute mode to campus. Sustainable commutes include: walking, biking, carpool, commuter rail, bus and vanpool.
- Users must have a MoveVU Commute Hub account and a Lyft account, and complete the Ridehail Program: Waiver and Release at least 48 hours before first use
- Guaranteed Ride Home can only be accessed by those who log their sustainable commute that same day into the Commute Calendar within the MoveVU Commute Hub
- The Guaranteed Ride Home trip must originate on campus
Eligible commuters can receive a free Lyft ride home eight (8) times a year, for up to four (4) free rides July 1–Dec. 31 and an additional four (4) free rides Jan. 1–June 30.
WHAT IS COVERED:
- Family emergency
- Missed carpool/vanpool
- Unplanned overtime
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
- Personal injury or illness requiring emergency medical services (call 911 instead)
- Inclement weather
- Transit service failure
- Travel from home to campus
- Travel to a planned medical appointment
- Business-related travel
- Travel to take care of personal errands
MoveVU is Vanderbilt’s strategic transportation and mobility plan that falls under the FutureVU comprehensive campus planning efforts. For more information, visit the MoveVU website.