Max Beck-Men’s Cross Country

Posted by on Monday, October 3, 2022 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Max Beck
Men’s Cross Country
Biochemistry & Chemical Biology

I chose Vanderbilt for its culturally diverse environment and rich history of biomedical innovation. I wanted to broaden my perspective, while participating in cutting-edge research at a prestigious institution.

I am currently in the process of applying to medical school to pursue a career as a physician. I am interested in cardiac electrophysiology because I was diagnosed with an arrhythmia last season and want to care for patients who have similar conditions.

I believe that to be academically successful at Vanderbilt you need to have grit and be a strong communicator. As a student at Vanderbilt, you will come across several challenges that will test your will and in those moments, you need to push yourself and commit to the goal at hand. At the same time, you need to communicate with your professors, advisors, and mentors to achieve your goals.

I have learned to manage my schedule by planning out my responsibilities in advance. On Sunday, I create a list of my obligations and space them throughout the week. I also maintain a healthy work-life balance by setting aside time for relaxation and mindfulness.

My pre-test ritual is eating a filling meal that consists of a peanut butter sandwich, Greek yogurt, a banana, and a hot tea.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

I consider an unsung hero in my academic success to be my research mentor, Dr. Walker. Her breadth of microbiology knowledge and guidance have been incredibly helpful as someone who aspires to be a physician-scientist.

Favorite quote?

“The poison by which the weaker nature is destroyed is strengthening to the strong individual and he does not call it poison” – Friedrich Nietzsche