Grace Jensen-Women’s Cross Country

Posted by on Wednesday, September 15, 2021 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Grace Jensen
Women’s Cross Country
Human & Organization Development

I chose Vanderbilt because I wanted a degree that would give me a lot of opportunities in my post-graduate life. I didn’t know exactly what field I wanted to go into, but I knew that the academic/athletic rigor at Vandy would prepare me for anything I decided to go into.

After graduation I would like to go into political consulting and/or public affairs.

You have to be able to manage your time well. Trying to navigate both athletics and academics can be really hard at a school like Vanderbilt, but it’s important to get on a consistent schedule that allows you to keep a good balance of both.

I always try and make time for myself. In order to avoid burnout, I try to take a few short breaks throughout the day and make sure that I’m in bed by 10pm. I’ve learned that the key to success in the long run is prioritizing your own well being over any grade.

I haven’t actually taken a test in 3 years (I’m more of a paper person haha) but instead of cramming right before the test, I would try to make myself as confident as possible by reminding myself that I was prepared for whatever questions were going to be thrown my way.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

My coaches have always done an amazing job making sure that I was developing holistically, not just as an athlete. They always made sure that I was doing well both on the track and in the classroom, and for that I am super thankful.

Favorite quote?

Patience, passion, and perseverance equals success – Pitbull