Marcella Cruz-Women’s Tennis

Posted by on Friday, July 23, 2021 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Marcella Cruz
Women’s Tennis
Junior
Human & Organizational Development / Psychology

I chose Vanderbilt at first based on the incredible culture and coaches the tennis program had. It just so happened Vanderbilt’s academic and social experience have made these last few years the most enjoyable journey I could possibly have!

I’m hoping to see how far my tennis career takes me after college, then I’m still open to the avenues that appear through my two majors Human and Organization Development and Psychology.

It definitely takes the commitment to do the best you can on any given day. There is a big factor of discipline and being able to manage time which when I’ve focused on, I’ve found the most success academically.

I’m a big calendar scheduler. When I lay out my weeks and days in advance, I can then just focus on ticking the boxes and executing on the little things when they’re in front of me.

Before the test, I may go over notes for a short period of time, but I spend more time staying in a relaxed and chill state. Ideally, most of the work and learning had already been done prior to the day!

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

My fifth year teammates have been the greatest role models I could’ve ever asked for tennis and academic wise. Emma Kurtz and Christina Rosca were always there to encourage me and set an awesome example of how to get the most out of your experience here!

Favorite quote?

“Be where your feet are”