Colin Anderson-Football

Posted by on Monday, February 3, 2020 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Colin Anderson
Football
Junior
Major: Communication of Science & Technology

I chose Vanderbilt not just because of its history of prestigious athletics and academics, but also because of the people here. In high school, when colleges were recruiting me, none of them had an atmosphere that matched Vanderbilt for me. Here I am surrounded by a challenging environment. That environment is complimented with encouraging professors and peers that push me to develop and grow as I continue my studies.

I want to pursue a graduate degree, and afterward want to work in the tech industry as a project manager, hopefully working in the green industry. I want to be involved in the development of new technology.

The best advice I can give is to be engaged in your academic career. That means developing a schedule or system that makes doing homework/studying most productive for you. A large part of this means fostering relationships with as many people at this university as possible. The professors and students here are all high caliber, and if you show genuine interest in academic pursuits, your passion will be matched by someone. In my experience, the system set up by academic support has been complementary to my own.  They offer resources like tutors if you’re not quite picking things up in class.

I manage my schedule by knowing myself and what I need to do academically/athletically. I know that if I have conditioning on the day before a test, I’ll need to do most of my studying before then so I can put less mental strain on myself. Knowing your work capacity is crucial so you can make realistic plans for yourself. It also helps that the football staff holds academics in high esteem, and therefore are very encouraging/understanding when it comes to school. The strength staff and position coaches are great at working things out if you have conflicts.

I’m most productive when I go out somewhere to study. Somewhere that no one I know hangs out. Sometimes finding an empty classroom or library is best, other times I like to go to somewhere like Starbucks if I need a more high energy atmosphere. In some cases, it’s best if I study in a group environment with other people in my class who I work well with.

Favorite quote?

“If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever.” -Thomas Aquinas