Tate Allwardt-Men’s Tennis

Posted by on Wednesday, May 2, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Tate Allwardt
Men’s Tennis
Major: Public Policy Studies

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because of the great mix of academics and athletics.  I knew there was no other school in the country that could provide me the opportunity to play my sport at such a high level in a conference such as the SEC while allowing me to gain a world class education.

In terms of goals, I would love to find myself in a leadership position.  I will begin a career in tech sales in June.  Regardless of whether I stay in this field or not, I would love the opportunity to manage people in a COO or CEO position in the future.

The biggest thing is time management.  I learned early on that your days as a student-athlete at Vanderbilt will be very long, regardless of whether you are in season or not.  Learning to study when you have the time, even if you don’t necessarily want to, will help you manage these long days before you find yourself behind the ball.

Once again, time management is huge.  On Sunday night, I like to plan out the schoolwork/tasks I have for the week.  This gives me a few goals that I am trying to accomplish by Friday or the following Sunday, and they keep me on track.

Before taking a test, I like to eat a meal, have a coffee, and review my notes.  It’s important for me to have a coffee to keep myself alert for the exam, and I like to briefly go over concepts (that I hopefully already know) before walking into the test.

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rogers