Penn Murfee-Baseball

Posted by on Monday, March 6, 2017 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Penn Murfee
Baseball
Major: Economics

I wanted to combine the best academic, athletic, and social experience that a university had to offer. Vanderbilt was an easy choice when taking into account the elite level of competition in all facets of a student-athlete’s life. 

I have always been a relationship seeking person, and I would like to have a career in business where relationships are central to the line of work. Private equity, mergers & acquisitions, and endowment investing are all areas that would grant me personal satisfaction as they are centered around dealing with and helping an entity greater than yourself.

Organization, persistence, and time management are the ingredients to academic success. Excluding factors on how “hard” Vanderbilt classes and how “tough” the professors are, the real source of difficulty comes from competing against the students in your classes. Everyone sitting next to you is a top-notch achiever, and it takes the three items mentioned above to remain competitive.

I always write out my schedule for the next day on a sticky-note and place it on my mirror. Organizing a check-list keeps me focused and on-task throughout my day.

I always like to have a conversation with a classmate right before taking a test. It helps clear my mind and get me relaxed.

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.” – Calvin Coolidge