Sam DeFabrizio-Men’s Cross Country

Posted by on Monday, June 6, 2016 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Sam DeFabrizio
Men’s Cross Country
Junior
Majors: Economics and Political Science

I chose Vanderbilt because I felt like I could contribute in a tangible way to the academic and social growth of our university, as well as obtain a top-notch education. I thought I liked the weather, too.

I would like to work in business for a while, possibly doing consulting or management, before becoming involved in politics and public service more broadly. I would also like to earn an MBA or JD at some point.

For me, academic success really depends on consistency and interest. I think that if I can pace myself in doing work throughout the semester, and take classes that I enjoy attending, school can be fun and pretty manageable.

I really work on prioritizing everything in my life to a various degree. I set some goals for each semester, each training cycle, each week, and each day in order to keep things in focus and check off the boxes that matter most. Also, staying well-rested is crucial for both running and school, so sleep is (almost) always a top priority.

I treat races and tests the same. I space out the studying before the test and don’t stress too much the night before or day of the exam. By that point, I’ve put in the work and all I have to do is be well-rested, fueled, and confident that I will succeed.

“If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run, Yours is the earth and everything that’s in it, And – which is more – you’ll be a Man, my son!”
– from Rudyard Kipling’s poem If