Tori Ferris-Bowling

Posted by on Monday, June 1, 2015 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Tori Ferris
Bowling
Major: Human and Organizational Development

I chose Vanderbilt because it seemed to be the total package to me.  It has wonderful academics, an outstanding bowling program, and the girls on the team were so friendly and welcoming and had nothing but good things to say about their Vanderbilt experience.  I thought this would be a great place for me to grow and learn as a student athlete.  I have always striven for excellence in my academics and bowling, and Vandy seemed like the place that would help me continue to strive for excellence.

As of right now I am not 100% sure what I would like to do when I graduate, but this summer I will be interning for Signature Events-a luxury wedding planning company in Nashville.  This is a dream job opportunity for me so I cannot wait to see what kind of experience and connections I gain.

In order to be academically successful at Vanderbilt you have to be able to successfully manage your time.  You can never go overboard on planning: the more you plan, the better off you will be.  You have to be willing to ask for help if you are struggling; it doesn’t matter if it’s help from your academic counselor or help from your professor-it never hurts to ask for help.  As it is very important to manage your time for studying and writing papers, it is just as important to schedule in time for yourself. It is also important to know the difference between the things you can and cannot change and not stress yourself out over one bad grade that you can’t change.

What has helped me manage my schedule is creating an academic plan for each class I take each semester.  I think about the opportunities, threats, resources, and grades I want to achieve in those classes.  After I do this, I make sure to take my syllabi and write out all the assignments I have for each class in my planner.  This helps be more aware of what I have coming up next so I can make my weekly to-do lists.  My freshman year and first part of my sophomore year were a strong learning curve for me in what I needed to do in order to be successful.  I found ways that helped me prepare for tests and how to ask for help at the first sign of difficulties.

Before taking a test I try to plan my studying about 5 days beforehand and then each day I go over the material by rewriting the major ideas in order to help me memorize.  The day of the test I go over all of the material no more than twice and then take a break to get food and let my mind relax before the test.

“You can have all kinds of desires, but it’s discipline not desire that determines our destiny.”
-Unknown