Seeding Success Grant
The Seeding Success Grant supports new work or directions with strong potential for impact or funding from federal, foundation, or industry sponsors.
The Seeding Success Grant has been updated, and now offers seed opportunity funding exclusively. The course buyout track formerly offered by the Seeding Success Grant is no longer available, but faculty may propose a course buyout via the separate Scaling Success Grant with the support of their dean. In all other respects, the Seeding Success Grant is the same as in previous calls.
The Seeding Success Grant may generally be used for:
- Capital expenses
- Postdoctoral hires
- Graduate student wages, stipends, and fees
- Term limited consultants or skilled workers such as a web programmer or survey developer
- Scientific and technical staff salaries
- Materials or supplies
Unallowable uses generally include:
- Book subventions
- Faculty salaries
- Tuition or financial aid support for students.
Award Eligibility & Terms
- Project funding is $5,000 to $60,000 a year for up to two years, with larger amounts considered if proposal warrants and program budget allows.
- All full-time, VU-employed faculty are eligible.
- Faculty may submit up to one proposal per application cycle as lead faculty.
- Applicants are encouraged to consider how their proposal advances inclusive excellence.
- Project funding cannot support faculty salary.
- Applicants may apply for up to $60,000 in salary and fringe support from OVPRI awards for postdoctoral researchers. Any amount over the $60,000 must be covered by the PI. Additionally, the application should cover:
- The necessity of a postdoc to the project
- The work the postdoc will be doing on the project
- Detail plan to sustainably support the postdoc after their internal award period ends
- Faculty are not eligible to submit another proposal until all reporting requirements have been met.
- Each participating faculty member must disclose all institutional research support funds, including endowed-chair funds, annual allocations, and other such sources.
- All funds must be used within the awarded project period (i.e. no carry forward).
- Proposals will be due once per semester. This twice-annual deadline will provide increased flexibility for faculty to leverage their funding.
- Decisions and awards will be made by the end of the Fall 2022 semester. Funding from these awards will begin by spring.
Application Checklist & Information
The applications for Seeding Success must be submitted to the InfoReady portal. Please check back later for the Spring 2023 Application portal.
The next application deadline for Seeding Success Grants will be in February, 2023.
Part I: Applicant Information
This section comprises text boxes.
- Lead Faculty First and Last Name
- Lead Faculty VUnetID
- Lead Faculty Department
- Lead Faculty Appointment Title
- Collaborators (up to 4 faculty)
Part II: Proposal Information
This section comprises text boxes.
- Proposal Title
- Project Summary (150 words)
- Project Proposal including detailed description of work to be completed, project timeline, and how funds will be used. (2,000 words)
- Significance and impact of work/scholarship on the field, the university, and/or the faculty involved; as well as what future works, events, etc., would be targeted or made possible by completing the proposed project. (500 words)
- Disclosure of all current internal funding for all VU faculty involved, including sources and amounts. Each participating faculty member must disclose all institutional research support funds, including endowed-chair funds, annual allocations, and other such sources. If none, please put N/A.
- Disclosure of all current pending applications for all VU faculty–including other internal award opportunities.
- Total amount of funding requested
- Number of years of funding requested
- Total funding requested for Y1 (please note unspent funds are not available to carry forward to the next year)
- Total funding requested for Y2
Part III: Uploads
These uploads must in .pdf format. Additional written content or files, other than what is described before, will not be reviewed.
- Detailed budget (Please use the budget format available in InfoReady)
- Faculty must upload a document that includes the citations of their five most recent publications, creative activity, or works. (This includes co-applicants.)
- If applicable, faculty must upload all external sponsorship for the last five years, including the following information: Project Title, Sponsoring Group/Agency, Grant or Award Type, Role, Dates of Funding, and Total Award. (This also includes co-applicants.)
- Optional supporting image attachment. Such attachments are only for images or graphics that cannot be included in the program description text box.
For questions or concerns about the Seeding Success program, please email email@example.com.