Scaling Success Grant
Scaling Success Grant
The new Scaling Success Grant is designed to support faculty as they scale up to increasingly impactful team research, scholarship, and creative works, including larger awards from external sponsors. This program will specifically support faculty on projects that have already generated interest and encouragement from a federal, foundation, or industry sponsor for the purpose of further developing the project or team prior to formal submission to the sponsor. If needed, Research Development and Support can assist faculty in gauging sponsor interest and developing relationships with sponsors.
Faculty are encouraged to right-size their Scaling Success proposal budget to their immediate needs.
Scaling Success facilitates a stronger proposal and increases the possibility of a significant external award relative to the lead investigator’s own discipline and award history.
Award Eligibility & Terms
We encourage you to reach out to email@example.com with questions regarding your project’s suitability for this program or about the application in general.
- Project funding is $5,000 to $60,000 within 12 months of award receipt, with larger amounts considered if the proposal warrants and the program project allows.
- Funds may be used for a variety of purposes, including course buyout with dean support.
- All full-time, VU-employed faculty are eligible.
- Faculty may submit up to one proposal per application cycle as lead faculty.
- Applicants are encouraged to consider how their proposal advances inclusive excellence.
- Faculty are not eligible to submit another proposal until all reporting requirements have been met for previous internal awards.
- Each participating faculty member must disclose all institutional research support funds, including endowed-chair funds, annual allocations, and other such sources.
- All funds must be used within the awarded project period (i.e. no carry forward).
- Proposals will be due every two months in order to allow faculty to respond quickly to new and growing interest from external sponsors. Awards are usually made before the next application cycle is due.
The next Scaling Success application due date is:
- July 6, 2022 at 11:59 PM
Application Checklist & Requirements
Part One: Applicant Information
This information will need to be entered into text boxes on InfoReady.
- Lead Faculty First and Last Name
- Lead Faculty VUnetID
- Lead Faculty Department
- Lead Faculty Appointment Title
- Project Collaborators and Personnel
- Department Administrator Name and Email
- Total Amount of Funding Requested
- Select primary category of project proposed (Basic Science/Engineering/Social Science/Humanities/Arts)
Part 2: Proposal Information
These responses will be entered into text boxes on InfoReady.
- Proposal Title
- Project Summary (150 words)
- What work do you hope to accomplish in the 12-month grant period? Explain in detail how the proposed work, the timeline, and the budget will advance your work to external sponsorship. Be sure to include, if applicable, how you have incorporated sponsor feedback into your work plan. (750 words)
- What sponsor, opportunity, or solicitation are you targeting? Please explain how this would represent an opportunity for you to scale your work. Please detail how your past work, grants, awards, etc., have prepared you to scale your work for the targeted opportunity. (500 words)
- Disclosure of all current internal funding for all VU faculty involved, including sources and amounts. Each participating faculty member must disclose all institutional research support funds, including endowed-chair funds, annual allocations, and other such sources. If none, please put N/A.
- Budget Notes/Explanation (Optional)
The following items must be uploaded to the application portal on InfoReady in pdf format. Additional written content or files, other than what is listed below, will not be reviewed.
- Detailed budget (Please use this template)
- Scaling Success applicants must supply positive communication from the targeted sponsor regarding their project. This communication may vary in form and content
- Faculty (including co-applicants) must upload a document that includes their five most recent publications, creative activity, or works.
- Faculty (including co-applicants) must upload all relevant external sponsorship for the last five years, including the following information: Project Title, Sponsoring Group/Agency, Grant or Award Type, Role, Dates of Funding, and Total Award
- Optional supporting image attachment. Such attachments are only for images or graphics that cannot be included in the program description text box.
For questions or concerns about the Scaling Success Grant, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.