Ride the Bus
Taking the bus is FREE, convenient, sustainable and available to all. Just plan, swipe and ride!
WeGo Public Transit is Nashville’s provider of local and regional bus and commuter rail service. Vanderbilt’s program provides all full-time and part-time Vanderbilt University students, faculty, staff and postdocs with free access to WeGo local buses, regional buses and WeGo Star with their physical Commodore Card. This service is available for any place and time, not only when commuting to and from campus.
Your Commodore Card can take you where you want to go…with WeGo!
Pick up your card at the Card Services Office today.
Why take the bus?
- FREE for VU community members with a physical Commodore Card. Less costly and more reliable than ridehail. Daily Parking Program participants earn a $0.50 incentive when they use this sustainable commute mode.
- CONVENIENT bus lines near campus to popular and practical destinations. Great alternative if you don’t have access to your own vehicle. Travel without the hassle of finding parking!
- SUSTAINABLE way to move around the city that is in line with Vanderbilt’s value of sustainability. Riding the bus leads to reduced carbon emissions, air pollution and traffic congestion and increased fuel efficiency (APTA estimates that public transit saves 4.2 billion gallons of gas in the US alone each year).
- AVAILABLE TO ALL including students, faculty, staff and postdocs, whether full-time or part-time.
how to take the bus
- Make sure to check WeGo’s health and safety protocols before you go
- Use real-time information from WeGo Public Transit, Google Maps or the Transit app to help plan your bus ride.
- Bring your physical Commodore Card!
- Arrive at the bus stop a few minutes in advance
- Confirm that it is the correct bus
- Swipe physical Commodore Card on local & regional buses, show your card on WeGo Star
- Use WeGo’s free Wi-Fi to catch up on homework or the latest news, read a book or people watch during your ride
- To determine your stop, either follow route on GPS or ask the bus driver
- Request stop by pulling on the yellow line or pushing button
- Depart bus and head to your final destination!
WeGo can take you where you want to go!
More than 15 convenient bus stops around campus.
- #3A and #3B on West End Avenue
- #7 on 21st Avenue
- #75 on Edgehill Avenue
Popular destinations – music venues, museums and more – are just minutes away. Practical places (grocery stores, internships, etc.) are too.
Time* from The Ingram Commons:
- BNA airport – 20 minutes on #18 after a transfer in downtown
- Broadway – 11 minutes on #3A, 3B and 7
- Ascend Amphitheater
- Bridgestone Arena
- Country Music Hall of Fame
- Fifth + Broadway
- Legislative Plaza
- Municipal Auditorium
- National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM) – Free for students with ID card
- Ryman Auditorium
- Schermerhorn Symphony Center
- State Capitol
- The Frist – 9 minutes on #7
- Green Hills – 14 minutes on #7
- Green Hills Cinema
- The Mall at Green Hills
- Trader Joe’s
- Whole Foods
- The Gulch – 15 minutes on #7
- Hillsboro Village – 10 minutes on #7
- Belcourt Theatre
- Jeni’s Ice Cream
- Kroger – 14 minutes on #7
- Nashville Fairgrounds/Geodis Park – 26 minutes on #77
- One Hundred Oaks – 23 minutes on #77
- Universities and Colleges:
- Fisk University – #19, 29 and 75
- Meharry Medical College – #19, 29 and 75
- Tennessee State University (TSU) – #77
- TSU Avon Campus – #3A, 3B, 7 and 50
*Times factor taking the bus to the closest stop and a walk. Times may vary due to location and traffic.