Home » Community Service
Log your community service hours in Doreway today!
Directions for using Doreway: Doreway Instructions
Places close to campus
Carter Lawrence Elementary School
- Recruits students to tutor consistently one hour per week throughout each semester. Students make a commitment to work with the same child every week and are able to get to know them and see their progress through the year. Carpools are organized by Pencil Projects.
- VSVS trains student volunteers to perform basic science experiments in elementary school classrooms. Vanderbilt students join a team of 3-4 volunteers and each team will teach four different lessons in the same classroom. Must be able to block at least 2 hours of time in order to volunteer (this includes travel time).
- Lead after-school tutoring and educational enrichment for 75 kids K-8 (mostly K-5)
- Serve as a transitional living facility for ex-offenders. Men only. Clients stay 3-9 months. Only 14 beds in the house.
- Organization provides childcare, emergency food bank site, Kids Cafe, and Christmas assistance program.
- Childcare is offered Monday – Friday from 6am-5:30pm and kids are 12 months – 10 years. They have about 86 kids total. They also need a lot of help with the Food Bank. Monday morning (9am – 10:30am) they need volunteers to help unload the truck and stock the pantry.
Edgehill Family Resource Center
- Plans large community events each fall, spring, and summer and is always in need of volunteers to help staff events.
- Also coordinates the Youth Advisory Council and provides leadership training to youth (middle and high school students).
- Looking for volunteers to work with senior citizens in the high rise apartments (help them get groceries and other errands)
- New idea to start a college mentoring program for Youth Advisory Council members. Students could help lead trainings on leadership skills, organizational skills, moral and character development, and grant writing, etc.
- Need volunteers for the community garden project (especially in the summer months). Need to fundraise in order to improve the garden and make it wheelchair accessible with raised beds.
Edgehill Public Library
- Run after school programs for elementary, middle, and high school students. Need volunteers to help with reading and math homework.
- They are always overwhelmed with kids and not enough tutors. They have about 25 younger kids each day and 10-15 high schoolers.
- Regular volunteer opportunity Monday – Friday from 3-5pm. (Monday – Wednesday they are open till 5:30pm)
Edgehill United Methodist Church
- Weekly tutoring program from 3-6pm each day
- 35 children attend daily
GED Classes offered at Edgehill Public Library
- GED classes are offered every Monday and Thursday from 12-1:30pm.
Healthy Life for Healthy Families
- Education and awareness of health issues including: high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, stroke, domestic violence, and cancer.
- New nonprofit that will have regular community workshops regarding healthy living and medical information about health issues.
Metro Parks and Recreation: Rose Park / Easley Community Center
- After-school tutoring and mentoring with students of all ages
Progressive Baptist Church: After School Tutoring Program
- Gillette and Crawford established a partnership with Progressive Baptist Church in 2009 to support their after-school tutoring program. Volunteer opportunities are open to all first-year students.
- Commons students volunteer once a week on Wednesdays from 5:45-7:30pm / 15 Vandy students work with 20-25 kids
Rose Park Middle School
- VSVS trains student volunteers to perform basic science experiments in elementary school classrooms. Vanderbilt students join a team of 3-4 volunteers and each team will teach four different lessons in the same classroom.
- Must be able to block at least 2 hours of time in order to volunteer (this includes travel time).
- Lessons start at various times from 7:45am to 2:45pm Monday – Thursday and end at 3:45pm at the latest.
- Lead an arts enrichment program Tuesday and Thursday afternoons including visual arts, dance, and theatre
- Also offer homework assistance in reading, language arts, and math for K-12 Monday – Friday
- Have about 65 students in program and currently have only 1 volunteer
W.O. Smith Music School
- Volunteers play a truly essential role at the W.O. Smith Music School. Students involved in the W.O. Smith private lesson program are offered one-on-one instruction once a week with a qualified volunteer teacher.
Youth Life Learning Program at Easley Community Center
- Lead a highly structured yearlong program for 5th-8th graders. They are a Christian based program and want volunteers to know this upfront. They lead character-building workshops and help kids with homework.
- They have about 18-20 students each day and need about 1-2 volunteers daily.
- During the school year the program runs 1-6:30pm Monday-Friday. Kids show up around 3:30pm and stay till 6:30pm (these are the essential hours for volunteers)