April 7, 2021 – Undergraduate student Return to Campus Update
COVID-19 public dashboard update
The COVID-19 asymptomatic positive rate for the week of March 28–April 3 is 0.48 percent, an increase from the previous week. As we approach the end of the academic year, it remains as important as ever to follow campus protocols and act responsibly as the pandemic continues.
Safety reminders as warmer weather returns
We want to remind you that our campus sits in the middle of metropolitan Nashville, and not all areas of the city are as safe as the Vanderbilt campus. VUPS will be increasing patrols in and around the 21st Avenue corridor area. Please remain vigilant when traveling on and off campus:
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle or building and while you travel between sites.
- Stay alert and trust your instincts—if you feel uneasy, leave. Go to a safe location and notify the police.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- If strangers approach you, maintain a distance and be observant. If they are in a vehicle, get the license plate number.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
The VandySafe app has several tools to help—download and review the resources and services available to you.
COVID-19 reminders as warmer weather returns
We are all excited about the warmer weather and additional opportunities to be outside. There are many opportunities for activities and engagement while following our campus COVID-19 health and safety protocols. Some reminders:
- Always wear a mask, whether indoors or outdoors, unless engaged in vigorous solo outdoor recreation or when taking bites and sips while eating outdoors, so long as physical distancing is maintained.
- Always maintain six feet of physical distance.
- Don’t share food and drinks.
- Outdoor official campus gatherings may have up to 12 people as long as campus protocols are being followed. Any informal meetups outdoors or off campus remain eight people or less.
Working group to explore changes to COVID-19 safety protocols for summer, fall 2021
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan R. Wente and Vice Chancellor Eric Kopstain have announced the launch of a new working group to review the university’s current COVID-19 protocols in light of changing CDC guidelines. The group will make recommendations on any potential updates for the summer and fall 2021 semesters. Read more about the working group in this MyVU story.