Program Budget Sheets
City University of Hong Kong
Budget Sheet for Fall 2023
Total Estimated Cost to Study Abroad: $39,744
Cost to remain at Vanderbilt: $44,826
The estimated total cost includes all aspects of the study abroad experience. Tuition, housing, meals, airfare, visa fees, books/supplies, local transportation, and personal expenses are included in this estimate. These fees may be paid to Vanderbilt or to third parties; see the estimates for each of these categories below.This program is estimated to cost $5,083 less than a semester on campus at Vanderbilt.
Fees Paid to Vanderbilt University
Students pay Vanderbilt tuition for each term abroad (read more). Fees paid to Vanderbilt University will be typically be billed according to the Office of Student Account's regular schedule for the term. Any Vanderbilt financial aid you normally receive will be automatically applied to your account, as it is when you are on campus (except for work study, which cannot be used abroad).
|Total Paid to Vanderbilt||$30,614|
Estimated Out of Pocket Costs
These are the fees GEO estimates you will pay to parties other than Vanderbilt. These may be paid to the program partner, to airlines, foreign governments, retailers, and/or other parties.
|Total Paid Out of Pocket||$9,130|
Included in fees paid to Vanderbilt University: City University of Hong Kong tuition is covered by your Vanderbilt tuition payment. The administrative fee covers Vanderbilt's international health insurance. Housing and meals are not included in the fees paid to Vanderbilt and will be paid directly to CUHK or to third parties.
Please note the following regarding the estimated out-of-pocket costs listed above:
- Enrollment is offered via a direct exchange agreement. Students will pay housing, university fees, and meal costs directly to the host university or to third parties.
- Beginning in the fall of 2023, the cost of Vanderbilt's mandatory health insurance coverage (GeoBlue) is included in the Program Fee paid to Vanderbilt. This cost is based on the length of the program and accounts for $241 of the listed Program Fee.
- Housing estimate is based on cost of City U on-campus accommodation in a double room.
- Out of pocket meals estimate also includes local transportation, laundry and educational supplies.
- The academic calendar for this program is often longer in the spring than the fall. Expect costs to be higher in the spring.
- Visa costs and requirements may vary depending on your nationality.
- The estimate for personal expenses is based on the Vanderbilt campus Student Service Fees and Personal Costs estimates, with adjustments based on local cost of living, length of program, and exchange rates. This amount is expected to allow for entertainment and participation in cultural activities, but does not include extensive personal travel. Also included in GEO's personal expenses estimate is VU's standard estimate for maintaining health insurance in your home country in case of medical emergency.
- Sites like numbeo.com can be useful for getting a sense of what common items and services cost in cities around the globe.
- Our local cost estimates are based on a rate of 0.13 US dollars to HKD.
- Airfare costs are highly variable and influenced by a number of factors, so we recommend making your own estimates based on your personal travel plans.
- There may be predeparture costs associated with health checks, vaccination, prescriptions, etc. These costs will vary individually. Vaccinations that are required for entry into your host country or for participation on your program can be covered by financial aid.