Program Budget Sheets
SIT Chile: Comparative Education and Social Change
Budget Sheet for Spring 2023
Total Estimated Cost to Study Abroad: $38,002
Cost to remain at Vanderbilt: $42,196
The estimated total cost includes all aspects of the study abroad experience. Tuition, housing, meals, airfare, visa fees, books/supplies, local transportation, and personal expenses are included in this estimate. These fees may be paid to Vanderbilt or to third parties; see the estimates for each of these categories below.This program is estimated to cost $4,194 less than a semester on campus at Vanderbilt.
Fees Paid to Vanderbilt University
Students pay Vanderbilt tuition for each term abroad (read more). Fees paid to Vanderbilt University will be typically be billed according to the Office of Student Account's regular schedule for the term. Any Vanderbilt financial aid you normally receive will be automatically applied to your account, as it is when you are on campus (except for work study, which cannot be used abroad).
|Total Paid to Vanderbilt||$34,342|
Estimated Out of Pocket Costs
These are the fees GEO estimates you will pay to parties other than Vanderbilt. These may be paid to the program partner, to airlines, foreign governments, retailers, and/or other parties.
|Total Paid Out of Pocket||$3,660|
Included in fees paid to Vanderbilt University: SIT tuition fees are covered by your Vanderbilt tuition payment. The Vanderbilt program fee covers SIT's charges for housing and three meals per day. The administrative fee covers Vanderbilt's mandatory international health insurance. Vanderbilt's Program Fee is subject to change and will always reflect the actual amount charged to us by our partners. This may result in additional credits or charges to your student account after the amount shown is billed. Please see the partner's currently published fees to check on the fees charged by the partner (start here).
Please note the following regarding the estimated out-of-pocket costs listed above:
- Students are expected to need to make an in-person appearance at a Chilean consulate in order to secure their travel visas. $500 for travel to the consulate has been included in the Visa estimate.
- Visa costs and requirements may vary depending on your nationality.
- Some students may be required to make a personal appearance at a consulate in order to secure their travel visa, and should budget both time and money for that in the months before they depart.
- The estimate for personal expenses is based on the Vanderbilt campus Student Service Fees and Personal Costs estimates, with adjustments based on local cost of living, length of program, and exchange rates. This amount is expected to allow for entertainment and participation in cultural activities, but does not include extensive personal travel. Also included in GEO's personal expenses estimate is VU's standard estimate for maintaining health insurance in your home country in case of medical emergency.
- Sites like numbeo.com can be useful for getting a sense of what common items and services cost in cities around the globe.
- Students attending this program are required to have a smart phone that is able to accept a local SIM card, or must purchase such a phone locally; contact SIT with questions.
- Airfare costs are highly variable and influenced by a number of factors, so we recommend making your own estimates based on your personal travel plans.
- There may be predeparture costs associated with health checks, vaccination, prescriptions, etc. These costs will vary individually.