Program Budget Sheets
Budget Sheet for Spring 2020
Total Estimated Cost to Study Abroad: $35,740
Cost to remain at Vanderbilt: $36,574
The estimated total cost includes all aspects of the study abroad experience. Tuition, housing, meals, airfare, visa fees, books/supplies, local transportation, and personal expenses are included in this estimate. These fees may be paid to Vanderbilt or to third parties; see the estimates for each of these categories below.This program is estimated to cost $834 less than a semester on campus at Vanderbilt.
Fees Paid to Vanderbilt University
Students pay Vanderbilt tuition for each term abroad (read more). Fees paid to Vanderbilt University will be typically be billed according to the Office of Student Account's regular schedule for the term. Any Vanderbilt financial aid you normally receive will be automatically applied to your account, as it is when you are on campus (except for work study, which cannot be used abroad).
|Total Paid to Vanderbilt||$30,420|
Estimated Out of Pocket Costs
These are the fees GEO estimates you will pay to parties other than Vanderbilt. These may be paid to the program partner, to airlines, foreign governments, retailers, and/or other parties.
|Total Paid Out of Pocket||$5,320|
Included in fees paid to Vanderbilt University: St. Louis University tuition fees are covered by your Vanderbilt tuition payment. The Vanderbilt program fee covers the cost of a homestay and partial meal plan, as well as SLU's Host Family Housing Processing Fee. If you select another housing option, your program fee will be adjusted to reflect the actual cost. The administrative fee covers Vanderbilt's mandatory international health insurance. Vanderbilt's Program Fee is subject to change and will always reflect the actual amount charged to us by our partners. This may result in additional credits or charges to your student account after the amount shown is billed. Please see the partner's currently published fees to check on the fees charged by the partner (start here). Be aware that a number of programs are more expensive in the spring than the fall due to differences in the length of the term.
Please note the following regarding the estimated out-of-pocket costs listed above:
- The program fee listed above represents the homestay housing option with partial meal plan. If you elect a different housing option, your Vanderbilt bill will be adjusted to reflect that election.
- The program fee includes two meals per day. The cost for meals given here represents additional meals. Students may elect other housing options, which will also impact the budget for meals. Please check SLU Madrid’s materials to estimate.
- Our program fee is based on a rate of 1.25 Euros to the US dollar. The program fee may be adjusted based on actual exchange rate.
- Visa costs and requirements may vary depending on your nationality.
- Some students may be required to make a personal appearance at a consulate in order to secure their travel visa, and should budget both time and money for that in the months before they depart.
- The visa cost estimate provided above includes a $500 estimate for potential travel to a US-based consulate.
- The estimate for personal expenses is based on the Vanderbilt campus Student Service Fees and Personal Costs estimates, with adjustments based on local cost of living, length of program, and exchange rates. This amount is expected to allow for entertainment and participation in cultural activities, but does not include extensive personal travel. Also included in GEO's personal expenses estimate is VU's standard estimate for maintaining health insurance in your home country in case of medical emergency.
- Airfare costs are highly variable and influenced by a number of factors, so we recommend making your own estimates based on your personal travel plans.
- There may be predeparture costs associated with health checks, vaccination, prescriptions, etc. These costs will vary individually.